It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

Catalytic Covertor 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Catalytic Covertor
Having to fit a Cat to the K3 and probably later to the Libra as MOT now states that all Kit Cars registered after Sep 2002 need to have one fitted. I believe that the standard Metro Cat will fit in place of the exhaust pipe on the main exhaust frame.... Is this right?
Any body and idea what part number this is as my garage seems to think I need to cut the pipe and then fit an aftermarket one and this sounds like a bodge job or easy job for them rather than finding the right part.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Catalytic Covertor
Hi, What does your V5C reg docs say in 3. Special notes, as mine for my Libra shows the emission limit with the SVA date. As I have a 1.4K pre 1995 so no Cat was required for SVA just %CO 3.5 ; HC 0.12. I know some garages just test all kit cars with just a smoke check! Maybe with the new rules they are getting confused or you have a car that went through SVA with a post 1995 engine so does need a CAT test.
See https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID000707 for Cat part (number 13 for a Libra).
Regards Howard W

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Catalytic Covertor
Attachment:
mot.jpg
mot.jpg [ 130.8 KiB | Viewed 4433 times ]

I think this is the relevant part of the MOT manual. for further reading see: https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-8-Nuisance.html
There seems to be lots of confusion over the new MOT rules but I think it hasn't actually changed for kit cars (following the successful lobbying and petition that I hope we all signed)

The 2002 thing is for vehicles defined as "passenger cars" however there is a separate definition for "kit cars" so kit cars are not treated as "passenger cars" for emissions purposes. It goes back to the values recorded at SVA/IVA and if no values are recorded on the V5 then it is tested based on the book values for the engine that was fitted at the time of the SVA/IVA. If a later engine has subsequently been fitted it is still tested to the values on the SVA/IVA (if present) or the book values for the engine that was there at the time of SVA/IVA. i.e. if the car was built and registered with a pre-cat engine it will still only have to pass the pre-cat emissions test at MOT.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:29 am
Profile E-mail