It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 am

Coolant type for Loughborough rad 
GTM delivered

Post Coolant type for Loughborough rad
I've just bought a V6 which has barely turned a wheel for the last 7 years. The first job to to sort out an overheating problem. The system seems to be sludged up, and moderately corroded (particularly the ends of the ally tunnel pipes, and the short steel pipe at the front is heavily corroded inside) I guess this is to be expected for a 20 year old car.

I've corrected most of that, flushed the system and rad, and have replaced the steel pipe with ally, but wondered which kind coolant is best for this combination. The engine spec is for OAT, but the data sheets for that coolant states that it shouldn't be in contact with 'yellow metal' which I'm guessing the Loughborough rad is?

I have a ally Passat radiator on the shelf, and I think I've already made up my mind to fit that to keep things simple, even if it may be marginally less efficient that the Loughborough on (it's also half the weight!).

Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Coolant type for Loughborough rad
I used engine specific coolant for years with the Loughborough rad with no issues. Having said that if you have a Passat rad ready to go I would swop it in as they are at least as good as the Loughborough ones.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:50 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Coolant type for Loughborough rad
Thanks Roger. Ally rad has now been fitted along with replacement ally link pipes and silicone joints. All looks much neater.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:33 am
Profile E-mail