It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 pm

K series sump gasket 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post K series sump gasket
Hi All, looking for some knowledge! All of the K series engines I've had so far have not had a gasket between the sump and the crank case. All alloy sumps. However I see that rubber sump gaskets are listed on some parts suppliers websites and on ebay. Since I installed my 160 engine I've had a weep from the joint. I dropped the sump off to install my baffle from the previous engine. There wasn't a gasket in place when I removed the sump. I've used Stagg Wellseal, as I've always previously done without problems, but this one is leaking, even after a second attempt with Wellseal. I don't know if this sump had always leaked in its previous life on a TF, there was certainly a fair bit of oil residue. So, I'm wondering if maybe the sump casting isn't quite flat (but then surely evenly tightening the bolts would pull it back?). The mating faces all looked in good condition with no obvious defects. I'm wondering if simply adding the rubber gasket would solve it. I could also try swapping over a sump from one of the two other engines I have lurking in the garage...

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Post Re: K series sump gasket
I'm sure they were designed without a gasket. In my experience RTV works.

I think I would try a different sump and check the mating faces.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Hi, Dave I think the physical rubber gasket was only used for earlier K series engines which had a pressed steel sump, and won't be suitable for the cast alloy sump.
You need to use anaerobic sealant, it was part number LVV000108EVA, but I could not find any so I used the equivalent Loctite 574, or Threebond 1133E should do.
The alloy sump basically is glued into position. LOCTITE® 574 seals close-fitting joints between rigid metal faces and flanges. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between the two surfaces and is ideal for use on rigid metal parts, e.g. cast components and pump housings. and is High oil resistance. Excellent water and glycol resistance.

Last edited by catsam on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
You can't use a rubber gasket as the engine steady (On Libra and OE cars) is mounted to the sump so it needs to be solidly fixed.

When I took mine off (had the engine from new) there appeared to be no sealant whatsoever.

I used Loctite 574 as rec'd by Dave Andrews, he said whatever you use must be anaerobic. Never had a problem with leaks. It only needed a thin bead and I have an almost full bottle still I think.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail