It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 am

My GTM Libra Re-build 
On the Road

Post My GTM Libra Re-build
Right! As some of you may already know I've recently bought a rather run down Libra in need of a bit of tlc and a rebuild.

It had suffered some accident damge, was passed on to someone who was owed money as part payment, he then bought loads of parts, spending a small fortune but never had the time to start the project. So its just sat about for a while.

New lights, new front clam, new rear wishbone (the later type) and loads of other bits and bobs, joints etc... came with it too.

My wheels went away for refurb/powdercoat today and new proxes for the rear arrived today too.

I will get some better pics tomorrow when i'm in the garage. Should be getting a load of bits shotblasted tomorrow and rebuilding my hubs... shotblast, paint, new bearings and joints. Just going through the car bit by bit or it might get a bit much. Due to work commitments plus the obvious others I can only work on it at the weekends but it should all start coming together a bit more in the next few months.

Oh my pro tech billet aluminium shocks came this week too, very impressed with them and the company itself. Would highly recommend. Great value for money too, a hell of a lot better than the horribly heavy gaz ones I took off.

Loads to do, loads of bits and bobs, parts etc so it should start coming together soon-ish :P

Ive probably forgot some stuff but you get the general idea...ill get better pics tomorrow like I said..

Oh, and a pic of my dads ultima/maserati 4200v8 to drool over :mrgreen:

Any help/ideas etc would really be appreciated!!

Oh also, from being stood outside the cars gel coat has faded.. can this be brought back to life or is it a repaint job?

Cheers

Ryan

Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: My GTM Libra Re-build
ooo Ultima :!: 8)

Good luck with the rebuild

WEST

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:24 am
On the Road

Some more pics, got my bits all shotblasted ready for painting, might even ge tthem sent for powdercoating. Not decided yet.

Hubs ready for painting, new joints .. bearings etc.

Few other bits n bobs..
New tyres

New flat bottom wheel and quick release hub...needed as im 6ft 3 and struggled getting out of it! :P

Tidied up my dials and repainted the back plate.

Tidied door cards/screws and fitted new aluminium winders..

Nice leather gaiters, aluminium handbrake and gearknob (gearknob was off a chevron b16 racing car!)

Theyre just bits and bobs I did and tidied up whilst I was waiting for other things to happen and what have you.

Also de-badged the front and rear clams... dont know what some of you may think but personally I dont think the standard of the GTM badges is up to much plus I like the fact that no one will have a clue what it is.

I think it should look good anyway!

In addition I repaired the radiator cowling yesterday as it'd taken a hammering in the bump. I cut a peice of strong composite sheet to fit the floor and riveted all round it and also riveted in aluminium angle to strengthen it further...just needs a bit of fibreglassing on the underneath now to finish it off.

Anyway thats it for now...

Need to find one of these passat radiators rather than the small metro ones as I'll probably be taking it to the odd track day... if anyone knows where to source one this would be useful..

Thanks

Ryan

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:37 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

New passat radiator in its cowling

Mems3 TF 160 engine..

New exhaust manifold now fitted which i got for a tenner :shock: Engine wont be going in till its had a full service, HG, Timing belts, sump baffle and possibly a piper reprofiled exhaust cam and keeping with the std vvc inlets as there seems to be a lot of gains to be had with these engine management systems wise.

Now.. bit of help please..

To avoid me having to go to GTM for everything and getting my arse slapped and waiting a month for postage where can I get new gear linkages for the r65 box??

And also this mount?

In addition does anyone know wether this is a fan switch or a temp reading for the dash or something??

Help would be greatly appreciated guy!

P.s I know its a bit rusty but itll all be blasted and painted before refitting.

Thanks

Ryan

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Spyder
You can get the mounts from Xparts Dealer but they are very expensive, I think that one is about £80!!! (The big round one over £100) or you can get one from a scrappy. Not sure if yours is damaged though? If the engine is fitted it looks like the engine just need straightning a bit, even though it looks like its come apart, thats whet they are supposed to look like :shock:
Juls

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:16 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

You not fitting the PG1 box?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:18 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Juls wrote:
You can get the mounts from Xparts Dealer but they are very expensive, I think that one is about £80!!! (The big round one over £100) or you can get one from a scrappy. Not sure if yours is damaged though? If the engine is fitted it looks like the engine just need straightning a bit, even though it looks like its come apart, thats whet they are supposed to look like :shock:
Juls

The mounts are supposed to look like that?

Looks broke to me unless thats how theyre supposed to be.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:22 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

roger wrote:
You not fitting the PG1 box?

No, I figured I'd see how the r65 goes as a few have done this already so I know it'll take the power plus the 1.6 clutch and flywheel are lighter than the 1.8. Ill just get a heavy duty clutch or a better lining put on.

I know it'll work anyway I spoke to Dudley at Talon Sportscars about doing it and he said they have in their vvc metros.

Plus the general feedback I've got is that it should accelerate pretty well using this box... and my linkage will fit...

So I may aswell try it, nothing to loose!

Spoke to Newman Cams today and they can do a regrind on my exhaust cam for a fast road profile for just £100. This is supposed to work very well with the mems3 remaps. So I think thats worth a punt too. Not going to bother building the engine for a month or so now anyway until the cars ready to take it... plenty to do!

Least theres potential there anyway.

Any ideas on that piece in the radiator hose? Dont know wether its rad switch or some kind of temp gauge lead.. if so its a poor design being at the radiator.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

It will be for the fan.

I would scrap it and do the job properly (as in the Rover/MGF) by controlling the fan with the ECU.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:05 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I was just going to use the fan switch fitting on the passat radiator but I guess thatd be better.

Will get some better pics this weekend, the front wishbones & shocks are on now. Need to paint my hubs and press the new bearings in then my newly powdercoated wheels can go on :)

Need to get the radiator piped up too... and sort out that spaghetti junction of wiring.. which I am a little worried about. :|

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Spyder
yazza54 wrote:
Juls wrote:
Juls

The mounts are supposed to look like that?

Looks broke to me unless thats how theyre supposed to be.

Thats what I thought till I bought a new and it was the same :oops:
Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=613
Juls

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Thanks Juls, I might just have a go at filling it in like that, or leave it. See how it goes, no point in buying a new one if its going to be the same!

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Just been looking at some build pictures on that ricola site and i noticed that there arent many wires at the front of his car but there seems to be a mass of them on my car which is worrying me. Should these be in the tunnel or soemthing !?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

http://www.peteronline.co.uk/pages/build.htm

Peter's is a very good detailed build site.

http://www.gtmlibra.nl/

Bertrams is also good, if a little difficult to read. :lol:

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

My engine didnt come with that big engine relay set on the back of his car on the ricola site. Does your car have this Roger? Also I was under the impression that the new rear wishbone mountings bolt up in the same place but it looks like this isnt so.. does anyone know?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 pm
Profile E-mail