It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 am

my gtm project(s) 
Part built GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post my gtm project(s)
Hi , i guess i need a project page here ! any ideas , hints or help welcome
Ok my projects , (too many) red gtm coupe 1981 oct finished 1997, completed 33 miles now ! just getting ready for its second mot , hope to be driving it this week , does need painting but the chassis is very good , metro gta unleaded engine (standard) , home spun exhaust using carbon can (be nice to get a stainless setup?), fitting hi-lo's and 13" wheels , vented front brakes and super fins , hope to move the fuel tank to the front where it belongs . trying to add a pic now .
second up 1982 kit, redgistered 1963, in bits been welded , not too bad some spaceframe and tops of sills where the body joins, replaced with bigger captive nuts, needs blasting and then rustproofing ( yes the rustproofing dilema, which one should i go for , and can i make my mind up while there is still some good metal left ?) was running a 1300gt engine, 11 stud , not sure what to put in although i have an avonbar 1380 sat on a jack knight straight cut box that was very quick in the last mini it was in , i have a metro turbo lump too,
third there is the first gtm i bought which i bought as an ex racer , it had a turbo 11 stud engine not a metro though, it must of been very quick as rust had made it lightweight even then, i could not part with it so its sat there for many years with me not knowing what to do with it , that was until i decided it needed a home spun chassis and a hyabusa motor, my drawings for the chassis are completed but i suppose it will have to wait until the others are done first, i have a tig welder now though so am thinking aluminium chassis .........
sorry tried to put some photo's here but it could not upload attachment ? :?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: my gtm project(s)
Rustproofing - have you thought about having it galvanised?

And pics are a pain over 1meg and pretty much must be .jpg

Other than that, this is the easiest forum I know to post pics.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:31 pm
Part built GTM

i have thought of galvanise , both electro and hot dip, por 15 and zinc rich paint , the chassis now needs either another blast or a dip , but its the pros and cons , for example hot dip will it warp the chassis , its such a minefield with so many different answers , i did read on this site an owner saying his had been done and he thought it was ok although he did say he felt it not a big issue as it was not the most accurate chassis any way, then i see on a landrover forum people advising against because of the twist problem and i thought that was a fairly heavy structure, i would like it to work and preserve my hard work for as long as possible.
Have any owners any experience with galvanising a gtm and have they taken measurements first and checked after? if so where was it done ?
also how much weight did it add ?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

also was womdering how to resize my photos ? from 12 mp to under 1 mp ? :?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

And has anyone any information on roof heights ? i have two with the later flat top infront of the front bulkhead , and one with a dip the same as dino's , this one has a lower roof height from the sill to the top of the door gap making the roof lower ?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

realscamp wrote:
also was womdering how to resize my photos ? from 12 mp to under 1 mp ? :?

I use "Imageforge" - free download - it has a file open feature that lets you resize at the same time - then resave and hey presto.

I talked to a galvaniser about hot dipping mine - he said that if the operator was worth his salt there shouldn't be a problem with warping.

Either that or how about hot zinc spray?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:45 pm
Part built GTM

Hi , yes i have considered it , a friend had some outside metal work sprayed at the time it was 8 years old he had meant to paint it but never got round to it , no rust present , my fear with this tho is the inner box section get no coverage although waxoyl may help here, nice to meet you here and thanks for taking the time to read/reply , more food for thought !

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

ok , here are some pics ; Image
ImageImageImage

there , well as you can see the red coupe is pretty much all there ready , just upgrading the wheels/brakes and fitting hi-lo's, i know the horn push needs a clean lol ! and the paint is awful, one day at a time tho, check the milage though, 33 miles !
The yellow one has had the welding done and is ready for a dip or sandblast , then rebuild.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

Very nice, the red one could be quite a sleeper with the rat look and a decent power plant :wink:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:03 pm
Part built GTM

Hi Tim , lol not sure about that ! it is a rat now but has a few redeeming features (33 miles since completion in 1997)), the floor/chassis is completely solid with no rust and original (no welding), the body is in good condition as is the interior, just needs a good paint job as it was painted many years ago and then micro blistered, the engine is an unleaded metro gta 1275 with a low milage (was 998 when bought on 10" wheels, i changed it and made the exhaust), the back is now done with hi-lo's , super fins and 13" compomotives shod with yokahama 175/50/13's, the front is getting metro vented (as i have some already on mini hubs) and i have yet to put the steering rack where it should be (on the subframe) rather than the bulkhead to straighten the track arm, then when i have the mot it will see a decent paint job, im rushing a bit because i sold my usual hack and was intending to use this one ! mmmm
The yellow one is a future resto, having completed the welding , just needs fettling and dip or sandblast then rebuild, i have all the bits.
The green one which as yet i have to find picture ( its currently buried in a bramble bush , where it gets no complaints ) and will be dug out for my most exciting project , the hayabuse transplant ( looking for another gtm coupe to aid this) I have the engine and an lsd and some bits already sorted but i need some more ! The engine kind looks tough to fit and get a drive so i have some headscratching to do ( i have offered it up to the subframe ) i will keep pictures coming as things change , thanks for taking an interest, simon

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi, new update, looks like my yellow gtm is going to lose its a-series ...... Image

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:51 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

what size vtec is that ?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

looks to me a B18C4, in other words a 1800.

Got the s9b gearbox?

Neil

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:57 pm
Part built GTM

Hi , yes its a B18C4 with the lsd , i think i had been reading to much about your honda engined cars lol i picked it up last night still in the donor, it was snicking into 4th from 3rd when pushed hard , although i think the clutch feels low (maybe fluid leak?)
Have to say tho certainly revved nice .........

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

should be interesting once its fitted you going to rebuild/ fettle the engine first?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:37 pm
Profile E-mail