It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
My Rossa project. 
On the Road

Post My Rossa project.
It still has a long way to go but this is where I spend all my time - and money :mrgreen:

Before.....

After.....

Minimalist interior.....

Bare behind.....

I'm hoping to get it on the road this year for the first time in its life (kit was made in 1987!) but time will tell!!

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:06 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: My Rossa project.
It worked!!!!! I've never posted photos before and this took a lot of sussing out because I'm a technological numpty so I'm really chuffed :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

GTM: Cox/Coupe
your not the only numpty :roll: I'm one too, you can be in my club :mrgreen:.The Rossa looks  8)

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 pm
GTM delivered

Looks good how long have you had the kit

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:32 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I've had the kit for 7 months. It had been through several pairs of hands before me and I bought it based on photos :roll: It looked much better than it was and it wasn't long before I decided to do the full rebuild rather just the detailing and finishing off that it was claimed to need - just as well that I decided that because it is the biggest collection of poorly assembled clapped out parts that I have seen in many a long day :( Never mind, though...I wanted a project and that's exactly what I got :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Has it ever been correctly registered or on the road legally? Reason I ask is that the SVA is supposedly changing after about Feb this year and will be more stringent and costly. I'm currently trying to get a Jester ready for the SVA although I think it may have been on the road as a Jester way way back but as I got it without a registration document, only a donor registration document, it looks like I need to go this route.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:15 pm
On the Road

The actual test is changing very little and should cause no extra problems but the cost is set to rise by a huge amount. At the moment the proposed IVA fee is over £500.

Last edited by gtmdriver on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:45 pm
On the Road

It's never been registered but all the parts came from the same MG Metro (plus the Mini bits, of course) and I have the registration document for that in my name. A SORN declaration has been made for the Metro.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Quote:
It's never been registered but all the parts came from the same MG Metro (plus the Mini bits, of course) and I have the registration document for that in my name. A SORN declaration has been made for the Metro.

That's fine for the registration part of things but you will still have to go through the SVA test before they will let you register the car with the Metro donor number. This is where I have come unstuck with a different kit that uses all the parts from a Fiesta, I too have the donor car reg in my name and all the major parts of the build have used the parts from the donor (front and rear suspension, engine and gearbox, instruments, seat belts, wheels etc.) but unless the chassis number comes up with a registration that states Jester on it I have to get it SVA'd and then get the donor car registration transferred over using the points system (which it will get).

From what I understand you would be able to keep the donor reg and not be given a "Q" plate because of the use of so many parts from your donor but you will still need to pay and go through the test before that happens.

Oh nearly forgot, your build looks very good indeed, I'm liking it alot.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:48 am
GTM delivered

Hello
I see you cut the inspection holes in the back
Did you find an easy way to remove the glue from the floor?
Did the smell finaly go away?
The car looks great
Ill keep watching your site to remind me how mine should look!!!!!!
Clive

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:59 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

lyndiloo wrote:
That's fine for the registration part of things but you will still have to go through the SVA test before they will let you register the car with the Metro donor number. This is where I have come unstuck with a different kit that uses all the parts from a Fiesta, I too have the donor car reg in my name and all the major parts of the build have used the parts from the donor (front and rear suspension, engine and gearbox, instruments, seat belts, wheels etc.) but unless the chassis number comes up with a registration that states Jester on it I have to get it SVA'd and then get the donor car registration transferred over using the points system (which it will get).

From what I understand you would be able to keep the donor reg and not be given a "Q" plate because of the use of so many parts from your donor but you will still need to pay and go through the test before that happens.

Not quite - NO kitcar gets to keep the donor vehicle's registration number nowadays. If you can provide documentary evidence of where all the parts came from then it will get an age related plate. Carrying the donor registration across is pre-SVA stuff. If you can't prove where ALL the bits came from then you'll get a Q.

In the case of the Jester where everything comes from the Fiesta then if it's an '87 Fiesta you'll get the next '87 plate off the pile.

The Rossa could be a bit more tricky since it uses parts from several different cars. How much comes from a Mini? If it's a significant amount then I'd make sure you also have a Mini registration document to cover those parts. If it's just a couple of bits then make sure you've got receipts for them (but make sure they specify that it's "xxx part from a xxx date Mini"

Iain

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:18 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Evenin' all :D Thanks for your comments. I'm resigned to having to get the car SVA'd, unfortunately, and have just recently been investigating this in a little more detail so that I can allow for it as the rebuild goes on. For example, the bottom rail of the dash framework needs to have a radius of at least 19mm so I'm figuring out the best way to do this - maybe weld a suitable sized piece of pipe to the underside and blend it in with filler or solder but that needs to be done while I can still remove the framework so a bit of planning ahead is essential. There's certainly not going to be any shortage of challenges!

The interior was a real mess after removing the 'sound proofing' (which was soaking wet and absolutely minging) having been liberally coated with glue to which the remnants stuck. It actually came off pretty easily using Auto Smart tar and glue remover that I got from a mate ages ago but I have since bought more of exactly the same stuff (had to be 5litres though) from my local motor paint etc supplier under the 'Trade' name. I just soaked a rag with it and worked a small area at a time, leaving it for a few minutes to soak in and rubbing it off with another rag. It took a while but the results are good. Even the smell wasn't too bad (I kept the garage door open for ventilation!) and it disappeared overnight as it dried completely and there is no stickiness left either:D
The inspection holes in the back are a real boon. It is now so easy to get access to the rear subframe mountings and engine cover mounting bolts. They were quite cheap to do, too. The hatches (4" ones) were around a £10-£15 if I remember rightly and the cutting tool was only a fiver - all from ebay, of course :mrgreen:

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Quote:
Not quite - NO kitcar gets to keep the donor vehicle's registration number nowadays. If you can provide documentary evidence of where all the parts came from then it will get an age related plate.

I stand corrected it would be an age related one. I would however suggest that you keep only one registration document for the build as if they see two they may not allow an age related plate due to not knowing or understanding the build process and therefore giving you a Q plate. Check out exactly what you need to show from the one donor ie. engine gearbox, subframe, steering etc. and ensure they realise that they all came from the one car and not a mixture.

I eventually got through to a real person at the DVLA last night but they are not able to search just from a chassis number even though it is one of the new 17 digit items that they have given it (not from the kit manufacturer but DVLA directly). :x Bit miffed as if they could have found the registration to match the chassis number then I wouldn't have had to get an SVA and could build the car correctly instead of building it to get through the test and then having to rebuild it for road use. Heyho no rest for the wicked I suppose.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:26 am
On the Road

The bureaucracy is going to be a right pain :( I was reading an article about the new IVA test in Complete Kit Car magazine (very helpful it was, too) and it seems to be geared up for new kits with some of the data expected to come from the manufacturers. F'rinstance, gross vehicle weight and individual axle weights are required - will it be enough to find a weighbridge and get the car to it which would be a nuisance considering that it's not road legal? Will my Rossa's seat belt mounts, designed and made over 20 years ago, meet the latest standards? Where do I get an engine power certificate (needed for noise testing) for an A series? etc etc. I don't suppose GTM will be interested :roll: If the testers are fair and reasonable with a bit of discretion to play with it should be ok but have they/will they? And on top of £500ish for the test I'll have to pay a new car registration fee as well :(

Like lyndiloo I'll have to build the car to pass a test and then alter it to what I want - eg: I can't fit my Smiths instruments because the bezels are the wrong shape or my leather steering wheel because it has holes in the spokes :( Then there's the steering column which isn't collapsible...so it goes on and on. There must be lots of other things and, obviously, the trick is to find them out in time. Ah well, it's all grist to the mill but I might have to revise my planned completion date :roll: :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Most of the items you have highlighted you need for the current SVA test, Axle weights, gross weight with passenger and luggage, and the steering column issue etc.. The other kit I am doing is fine for the column as it uses a Fiesta one that is acceptable, there are ways in which your installation can pass, I have a copy of a book called The Law and the SVA (or something like that anyway) if you have any areas that you want me to look into I can scan those bits, it is for the older SVA test not the new one but alot of the main chassis/body, steering etc. will be the same as I believe they are just adding extra bits to the original test and charging a massive fee for doing so.
I spoke to a small kit company only yesterday to get some info and they are really upset about the new cost, not the regs themselves as they can get over them but the cost ontop of a relatively cheap kit starts to become expensive and they think demand will shrink and some small companies will close altogether.

Another kit I have (which fortunately doesn't need SVAing would fail for exactly the reason you say about the smiths gauges even though in an accident there is no way on this earth that you would reach the dash before your head went thjrought the screen and even then you still couldn't hit the gauges with any of your body parts. I think the original Smiths bezel is only 2.5mm radius and it has to be 3mm to pass, talk about splitting hairs. As an aside I think you can still use your Smiths gauges as someone does a bezel to fit that is of the correct radii I'll try to find out who they are and let you know.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next