It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

Rossa Mk2 Rescue and Renovation 
GTM delivered

GTM: Rossa
Post Rossa Mk2 Rescue and Renovation
Hello!

This is my Mk2 Rossa which I have rescued from being cut up and skipped. The Rossa has never been on the road after two previous owners did not have the time or enthusiasm to complete the project although quite a bit of building work has been done in the past.
It has been sat outside for a least 10 years and the weather has taken its toll on some of the components and so the only option is to strip it all down again and start a fresh. At some point the screen had been fitted but had been removed again causing some damage to the left hand window pillar where the gel coat had broken away. The project did not come with an engine although both sub frames are present and appear to be complete. However, the body is missing its rear bumper and engine cover as well as the front bonnet.

We are looking forward to building this one back up :D

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:03 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Rossa Mk2 Rescue and Renovation
That's quite a project! Good luck with that, and especially getting it through the SVA when you are finished...

Looking forward to lots of updates and photos of your progress.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:30 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thank you!

Looking forward to the build but not the SVA :lol: Fortunately I have a good relationship with our local testing station from my days as a workshop manager of a commercial vehicle body building company :)

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:11 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/354071/M1_IVA_inspection_manual.pdf

Have a read of this before starting any work.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:30 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I couldn't agree more! I had to redo some of mine after reading the regs properly after I had some of it done :roll: Things that spring to mind are the need for dual circuit brakes, handbrake compensator, collapsible steering column (I managed to get the standard Allegro one through on my mk1 but I'm not sure what your mk2 uses), switch type and placement etc etc etc. My story's in the projects section. If you need to find out anything this is the place to ask! Best of luck - it looks like you're going to be busy :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:52 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
RaymondH wrote:

I couldn't agree more! I had to redo some of mine after reading the regs properly after I had some of it done :roll: Things that spring to mind are the need for dual circuit brakes, handbrake compensator, collapsible steering column (I managed to get the standard Allegro one through on my mk1 but I'm not sure what your mk2 uses), switch type and placement etc etc etc. My story's in the projects section. If you need to find out anything this is the place to ask! Best of luck - it looks like you're going to be busy :mrgreen:

Definitely have a read of RH's project thread - brilliant stuff.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:43 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks for the advice guys!

I have a copy of the IVA manual Ken, it is actually quite an interesting read and looking at it, if I follow the guidelines correctly I should be able to do what is required. However, I certainly will have a read of your thread Raymond, and help will be very much appreciated!

I have a collapsible steering column which I bought from www.carbuildersolutions.com which I have bought for a Z Cars Mini that is in our workshop at the moment so I will have a look at this set up and probably go down that route. I intend to build my own dash panel because the existing one is bloody horrible :lol: so again if I follow the correct guidelines when building it hopefully all will be well.

I am going to call the testing station at Chadderton today to see what advice they can give me. I used to deal with this station when we were presenting new commercial vehicles for WVTA and COIF.

Any more advice will always be appreciated!

Could any one tell me back when the GTM Rossa Mk2 was new and say you purchased one to build, was it a case of just applying for a Q plate once you had built the vehicle up or was there a more detailed process?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:34 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I have all the paperwork etc for my donor car and applied for an age related reg number but I had to settle for a Q in the end because I didn't have the original receipt for the kit showing the chassis number. Even if I did it wouldn't have made any difference because the chassis number back then was only 3 digits and nowadays you need 17 so you just make up your own and engrave it on . I was hacked off big time about this (and still am :x ) because I wanted to finish the job off property with a GTM reg - I had my eye on B20GTM for aaaaaaaages.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:00 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I now have a bonnet with thanks to Baxter! :D

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 am
Profile E-mail