It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:31 am

soft top framework 
GTM on order

Post soft top framework
hi all
i have recently purchased a gtm K3 and am in the middle of restoring it, finding it difficult finding info on the car, dosent help on not knowing what donor car was used lol, any info would be gratly appreciated. a specific question i have for now is about the softtop frame work, all i have is one hoop hold up the at the seem above the rear window, im under the impression that there is ment to be more than this as it seem to saggy over the side windows, if this correct does anyone know where i can purchase said item, or if you have one that is the right type or been custom made, if someone could be so kind to take some good pics so i can fabricate something similar myself, thanks in advance for any assistance
Neil

Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:59 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: soft top framework
And when you crack this please let me know - I have no soft top at all and am looking for one!
John

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

There should be another bar that is slightly curved at each end that goes across the car just above the side windows. If you have the rest of the framework then you should have the rear "hoop" and two side bars that clip to the front just above the screen, in each of these two side bars you will find a locating hole on the top (maybe at a slight angle from vertical, not sure) the second hoop has a corresponding "nipple" on each end that locates into the hole and therefore stops the sagging. (bit fiddlley to do on your own but not that bad as the wife manages it without assisstance).

You could try Rossabitz to see if he has frames but if all else fails I will take some photo's for you if the weather is ok later.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 am
On the Road

I'm sure Alan has the formers etc for the soft top frame, (but I'm not so sure about the actual "cloth" part)

If need be I could get a roll of wall paper and draw round the metal work. (the hi-tec solution)

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:37 pm
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Wallpaper aided design, is that one step up from cardboard aided design :?: :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:16 pm
GTM on order

thanks for the help people, all i have is what looks like a self made hoop at the rear of the soft top and the piece that fits just above the windscreen, there is nothing inbetween these, i have an idea of how to make one in my head(lol) and am pretty ok at fabricating and could possible make one up, photos of the actual framwork would be grate as i could mock one up from them im sure.
on an unrelated topic, im respraying the car and am thinkin off house of kolors candy apple red, what do you all think
thanks everyone

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Quote:
im respraying the car and am thinkin off house of kolors candy apple red, what do you all think
thanks everyone

Nice colour but has to be applied to a really well prepared body or it won't look right. Any ripples in the glassfibre will show up big time with candy paints and the number of coats of base or top coats will change the colour somewhat so hopefully you have done this before or know someone who has and can get it right otherwise it can look abit patchy (too many coats in one area and not as many in another).

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:07 am
GTM on order

hi
thanks for the heads up, ive been sanding, re fiberglassin and fillin for a couple of months now and its almost there, ive got some reface paint to coat the full car with before i shoot any colour. i myself am doin that and the basecoat but i have a friend whos in the trade of car customising and airbrushin to do the kandy laquer and top laquer so i hope all goes well lol, i will post pics when sprayed as im hoping to get it all sprayed up next week as im off work, dont want much eh.
thanks
neil

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Sounds go, hope all goes well.
I will take some photo's of the roof frame at the weekend, it's too dark when I get up in the morning and get back home at night and the car is still on the trailer outside so a bit of a pain to get photo's during the week.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:44 am
GTM on order

thanks lyndiloo
look forward to em, will up some pics when sprayed, hoping to be done this week lol

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to take any photo's this weekend but will do so next even if I have to put a cover above to do so.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:37 am
Looking like a GTM

Have taken photo's of hood and frame so if you still want them let me know, probably better to send via email as I think they are rather large files.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:46 am
On the Road

YHPM :)

Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Hopefully so do you :)

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:33 am
On the Road

I do indeed...and now have food for thought 8) Many thanks :)

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:10 pm
Profile E-mail