It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

CAD model of a K3? 
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Post CAD model of a K3?
Simple question really, anyone got a CAD model of a K3?

Looking at testing a few very basic theories in CFD and don't want to do a scratch build is one already exists!

Thanks
Oliver

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Re: CAD model of a K3?
Me Tooo!
I'd love a cad of the chassis/body, so if you find one let me know please.
Cheers,
TG

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:35 pm
Part built GTM

So I'm getting a few quotes on getting my car 3d scanned, gonna try for with and without clamshells fitted to hopefully get a good starting point for mockup work.

Looking like it's not gonna be overly cheap but reckon in the long run it'll make my life a lot easier with some of the potential mods I have in mind, but was wondering if, assuming I can put together a decent high resolution, measurement verified model how many people would be interested in buying a copy to offset my costs. I'm not looking to turn a profit, but want to get an idea of how many people and how much people would be willing to spend to work out whether it's worthwhile once the quotes come back.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:19 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

You may be able to cut your costs by scanning the most important parts in detail. Then either scanning the rest at a very low resolution or don't scan and build a basic model between the important parts.
If you are looking for specific measurements to build off you could fairly easily create a 3d model of things like the sub frame mounts, all you need is a reference surface to measure off, a garage floor would be fine. It would take a bit of time and careful measurement but the basics could be modelled easily in a day. After that you could add as much or as little detail as time allows or you want.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Yeah - My plan was for general lowish resolution full car scan with detailed scans for interior, mounts and other important areas and to use some key measurements to verify everything and scale if needed.

The 3 quotes that have come back are 8-10x what I'd budgeted for this, but looking into the options of buying some used kit and scanning myself and then adding the detail through CAD modelling as this way I'll be able to scan for other people and do a couple of other projects that doing the surfacing from measurements is painful. I acknowledge used older lower quality kit probably wont give the detail of the kit these guys use but should be adequate for this purpose!

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Sounds like you are looking at a serious amount of data. That would put a fair strain on most systems. The software you use will also be important in terms of it being able to accept scanned data and at the size the file is likely to be. There are many good software packages to handle 3d CAD, what a lot of people don't know is that Autodesk has been giving away its software for personal education use for a few years now. Their Inventor program would handle what you are doing with ease. Search Autodesk software for free, it should flag up Autodesk education site. The last time I looked and downloaded it only asked for an email to send the activation code to. The software times out after 3 years however you can update it for free. Inventor is fairly easy to use for the power it provides. If you need more power there are other packages you might be better with. Long term CAD users like me could find Autocad Mechanical has more going for it, you however would find a lot more power means a lot more learning and understanding needed to get results.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Thanks for the info. I Currently use Fusion 360 for most of my modelling, also have Inventor installed and sometimes use it but don't need it for most simple stuff. For reference, I used to work as a CAD designer ( though was using NX10 at the time) so planning on replacing the Scanned data with modelled geometry as soon as possible.

Hardware wise I should also be ok as have a i7 CAD/Gaming workhorse PC that should survive some pretty high poly models. I guess I'll see how it copes. Worse case I'll do a very rough scan and use this as a base for my CAD design.

Sorry for the odd terminology in place, now a performance engineer so most of my CAD is home/evenings at the moment and I'm new to the whole area of 3d scanning - but trying to learn!

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:47 pm
Profile E-mail