It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:47 am

K3 AND MGFTF 160 
GTM delivered

Post K3 AND MGFTF 160
Hello

I have a Rosa K3 which is a bit useless as it is. I am thinking of buying a MGFTF160 and transferring the suspension, brakes, engine, steering etc onto my K3. Has anyone ever done anything like this, if so, what do you think are the pros and cons .

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: K3 AND MGFTF 160
Hi Archie,

Can't comment on fitting the bits onto your K3 but my current experience of buying a MOT failed TF160 for bits for my Spyder has worked out pretty good. I bought the car for £600 (and the guy dropped it off at mine despite it having no current MOT or tax so saved me using up favours from mates with trailers). So far I've sold a load of bits I won't need (and you probably won't either) and got back £675 and that's after ebay and paypal fees, postage etc so a clear net profit and I've got all the bits I might need i.e. a good 160 engine, gearbox, driveshafts, ECU and loom, a set of 16" 11 spoke alloys with decent tyres, the AP 4 pots and good discs, a spare pair of rear calipers and discs, handbrake cables, gearchange etc etc. I've still got the subframes and suspension and a load of other bits that I can sell as I get around to it. If you've got room to keep it while you are stripping it and you can find a good one I'd say go for it.

The bits that got the most money back where the leather seats and the hood so try to get one with good ones and various switches, headlights, rear lights, fogs etc. It was lowish mileage (80k with full history, including bill for HG change at 65k together with new cambelt and water pump. Bill for new discs and pads and a full service at 75k). The shell is really rusty, more than you'd expect for a 2002 car and as I've dismantled it I have found signs of accident damage but nothing affecting anything useful.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Hi Archie, I have converted my K3 to MGF running gear etc. but the TF has different suspension. I would expect the subframes to still fit, I cannot see Rover altering an existing design too much to accommodate changes. The MGF gear fits ok and you could fit a 160 engine into those subframes although you would still have hydragas suspension unless you converted to coilovers as I did. You can see my build details in the back issues of the newsletter and some info on here.
Peter.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
The TF doesn't have hydragas - normal springs and shocks, I think the subframes are pretty similar though, based on the original Metro front subframe still.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
hi looking at this the subframes are pretty similar
i think it will fit
ImageImage

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:02 pm
Profile E-mail