It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 pm

Having Hydragas units refurbished. 
GTM delivered

Post Having Hydragas units refurbished.
Last year I set about finding and buying a kit car based on BMC parts. I tried two Midas's which I quite liked but both had rock hard suspension. I was pointed in the direction of GTMs. Having never even seen one, I bought a K3 from the other end of the country (not a wise move). When it came, it needed a lot of work to bring it back to life and I set to, doing just that. I got it to the state where it was reliable and tidied up some very poor previous work and repairs. The problem still was that the ride was very poor indeed, even for a sports car. Much like the Midas's. A chap who was an Allegro fan came to buy some Allegro spares and had a look at the K3. He was very interested and showed me how to test if the suspension was still doing it's job. He decided that the Hydragas units had, in fact very little gas in them, so even though the ride height was correct there was very little springing. After some research, I found that there were two options: 1) convert to coil over shock units (not a good one in my opinion) and,2)Have the Hydragas units reconditioned by a chap called Ian Kennedy, who is in Telford. Now I live in the north of North Yorkshire (200 miles from Telford) so I could dismantle the units and send them to him to work on, or take the car to him and he could do all the spanner work. This meant an overnight stay in Telford, (not the end of the world). He did the job complete, in a day and I drove the car home the next day. What a transformation, the car now rides much more comfortably and handles far better. The cost was £448 and was money well spent. If you do your own spanner work the refurbished units are £200. The journey back from Telford was a bit of a nightmare, the first 100 miles taking 3 1/2 hours in a constant traffic queue along the M6 but the second 100 taking just 1 1/2 hours on empty roads, M62,A1,A19, (honest, I did not break any speed limits). I hope this helps someone.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail