It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

Coilovers 
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Post Coilovers
Thanks sanzomat, that's just what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

I forgot to ask what the lead time was for Protechs. It's around four weeks for Gaz but they're a fair bit cheaper and I'm on a tight budget with several other cars and a home vying for my attention.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:58 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Re: Coilovers
Sanzomat, I've been reading your last reply again. According to the info I've gleaned from the various K3 threads the shocks will be 13" open and 9" closed using 1.9" springs. Everyone seems to be using 8" coils so I can assume the spring will compress down to 4". I notice from some of the images in various posts that the lower spring seat seems well up the shocker so I'm wondering if a 9" spring would be better. Is there any reason not to use a 9" spring? I would think it would compress down to 5" without binding?

Si.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:01 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Can't really comment on the K3 as mine is a Spyder but I had a similar issue. The previous owner had put on 8" springs but as you say, the seats were way up the body. I changed them for 10" with the same load/inch and they seem better to the eye but not really sure if it makes any difference. Feels like it should be better if the range is a smaller proportion of the overall length and there is plenty of room on the body on mine for 10's (I'm still on the original Gaz, although they have been refurbished)

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I think I'm going to go with the basic Gaz 13" shockers and try some nine inch springs. I'm still a bit undecided about the spring rates. It's a toss up between 225/250 lb for the front and 325/350 lb for the rear.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Gaz coilovers and springs ordered today from Larkspeed. I took a gamble and went for nine inch springs, 250lb for the front and 350lb for the back. Lead time is three weeks but that's ok as I've plenty of other stuff going on in the workshop and quite a bit to do at home :|

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:08 pm
Profile E-mail