It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 pm

Lands End to John O'Groats Relay, 23rd June 2018 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Lands End to John O'Groats Relay, 23rd June 2018
Hi All,
In the pub last night at the monthly evening meet of Kitnet.uk we were discussing an idea of doing a relay drive from Lands End to John O'Groats in kits cars. By doing it as a relay any one group only has to complete a stage of circa 100 miles and we worked out that if we were slick with passing on the baton at predetermined meeting places it should be possible to leave one end at sunrise and get to the other end in time for sunset. By doing a relay there are no issues with rest stops, re-fuelling, meals etc as each section group can have empty bladders, full bellies and full tanks just as the previous group arrives in the opposite condition! The google maps time for the journey is only 88% of the period of time between sunrise and sunset on the longest day so that would dictate a late June trip and should give a bit of spare time for traffic etc, but does require the use of motorways. Those not on the road at any given time could keep up to date with live progress via social media and we should be able to get some coverage from at least one of the kit car mags and maybe even get on TV!

Each stage group could complete their round trip back to their start point in a more leisurely B road trip and take in a local beauty spot or other such feature (and share group pics).

As Kitnet.uk is intended to be a club to bring other kit car clubs together this seems a great way to celebrate its first anniversary this year. As it started as a SW England group, although it has spread out a bit, there isn't sufficient national coverage to complete the whole trip without some long runs so we will be appealing to other single marque and regional clubs to join in. As I'm on the GTM forum a fair bit I said I'd test the water here. No reason why it couldn't be another GTM 50th celebration event either. I'm sure we must have members all the way along the route so there could be at least one GTM in all of the 9 stages!

So, any thoughts? there is quite a bit of organising still to do to set this up but if there is sufficient interest this could be a lot of fun. Anyone interested?

Cheers, Dave

Last edited by sanzomat on Thu May 03, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Tentative - Lands End to John O'Groats Relay, Any Interest?
If it doesn't clash with any of the events I'm booked into, and i haven't blown the engine from my lotus exige drag race challenge, I'm sure I could do a 100miles in the Cox, Sounds like a cool idea/challenge 8)

No......Name............forum.name.........Vehicle.........

1.........Stuart...........Turbocox..............Cox..............

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:03 pm
GTM Nirvana

2.........Dave.............Sanzomat............Spyder..........

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

This sounds like an interesting idea.
Depending on when (and holidays/weddings/work) I could make this one.

I'm a member of RHOCAR, would you like me to pass this on or wait until we see what the uptake is?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:35 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Did this a few years back with the Impreza Club.

Remember once north of Inverness, fuel availability can be a problem at times (Sundays especally), also it will take longer than you think on some roads A9/A99 can be a nightmare depending on Tourist Traffic.

Inverness to John o' Groats will take 3 hours+ to cover the 120 miles.

But I would be up for the idea.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:58 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Gargoil wrote:
I'm a member of RHOCAR, would you like me to pass this on or wait until we see what the uptake is?

Hi Gargoil - very happy for a mention in RHOCAR. Another Kitnet.uk guy (Florin) is also on RHOCAR and was also planning to post on this so see who gets in first!

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:23 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Ken555 wrote:
Did this a few years back with the Impreza Club.

Remember once north of Inverness, fuel availability can be a problem at times (Sundays especally), also it will take longer than you think on some roads A9/A99 can be a nightmare depending on Tourist Traffic.

Inverness to John o' Groats will take 3 hours+ to cover the 120 miles.

But I would be up for the idea.

Good advice Ken, thanks. I think the guy who's idea it was had done a bit of reading up and was already looking into possible meet up points but a bit of local knowledge is always better than what you can find on the net :)

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:26 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

sanzomat wrote:

2.........Dave.............Sanzomat............Spyder..........

Might be worth adding where you are (roughly) to aid planning of who does which section

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 am
GTM delivered

Florin (Bob) and I have just posted on the RHOCAR forum, hopefully there will be a few visitors to the Kitnet web site to take a look.
:D

Just looked on my on-call rota and it's free for the 24th June, so it's a tentative from me, driving or support functions.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:50 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Bumping this one!

It didn't happen in 2017 but it is definitely on for 2018. 23rd June. There are already at least a couple of people for each stage and as well as the Lands End start there will be another group starting from Dover and coming up the south east side with both routes merging at Sandbach services on the M6.

All the details are on the Kitnet.uk site but if anyone is interested and doesn't want to register for Kitnet.uk I'm happy to re-post things here like stage times, start/end locations etc. etc. Stages are typically around 100 miles long and those finishing at any given stage end should have some kind of meet/pub/local attraction to visit and then a scenic route back to where they started (if they want)

There is a rumour that Adam from Complete Kit Car magazine will be doing the whole Lands End to John O'Groats in a kit but he's on the blag for something more comfortable than his Riot.

Who is up for a section (or more!)?

Wed May 02, 2018 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Conglebach services is only 7 miles away from me, so I'll show my face whether I participate or not.

Wed May 02, 2018 10:55 pm
GTM Nirvana

Pantera2075 wrote:
Conglebach services is only 7 miles away from me, so I'll show my face whether I participate or not.

Great. Cars should be arriving from the Dover route at around 12:00 and from Lands End at around 12:10. Those starting their run from there would ideally assemble a bit before then and be ready to leave as soon as the combined "baton" arrives. The will be some who will be combining more than one section so will arrive and soon after head off again!

@Pantera2075 Can you recommend a pub/eatery for those finishing at Sandbach? I seem to have picked up the job of leading the section from Gloucester Services to Sandbach. I have no local knowledge but was searching for something with a varied menu, big car park and maybe a little south of the next junction up from the services as most people finishing at that point will be heading back south (although could be east or west I guess.) I'd picked out the White Lion at Weston, about 3 miles west of J16 - any thoughts on that? My plan was then to wind my way back via Shewsbury, Church Stretton, Hereford, Monmouth, Chepstow and back over the bridge to Bristol.

Thu May 03, 2018 8:18 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Post Re: Lands End to John O'Groats Relay, 23rd June 2018
Attachment:
LeJog timings.png
LeJog timings.png [ 59.16 KiB | Viewed 10114 times ]

Here are the timings for the various sections.
As GTMOC is a single marque club with national coverage I'm hoping we'll have plenty of members within easy reach of at least some of the setions.

If you think you can join in please let me know which section and I can pass on your details to whoever is "section leader". If you know of a good destination for a visit or run out for those ending at any of the stage ends please let me know - or maybe volunteer to show people there. You don't even have to drive one of the sections to show support, maybe just hang around, cheer people arriving and departing and join in the after stage run/visit? There have been some people who have offered to have a barbecue going at Gloucester services so those assembling for the section start can be well fed before they leave and those arriving can have a gentle recovery!

So far there are people from quite a few other regional clubs e.g. SKCC, Apple County, Shropshire to name but a few, a number of single marque owners clubs e.g. the Robin Hood guys (RHOCar), WSCC.

Even if you can't come but are also a member of another club/forum please spread the word - lets make this as big as we can!

Complete Kit Car are going to run an article on it so its also a chance to get in the magazine. Adam Wilkins is going to drive the whole thing (possibly sharing with a co-driver). We have a Tin top support crew driving the whole distance too with some emergency tools, jerry cans etc in case anyone gets a bit stuck but to keep the schedule they won't be able to stop for long!

There is a plan to have live updates on social media throughout so the progress can be tracked.

Thu May 03, 2018 8:35 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

You're spoiled for choice for eateries in that part of the world - it's just far enough out of Stoke to not be a dump. Sandbach and Holmes chapel are full of decent foodie pubs, plus there's quite a few on the a50 south. Try the bear's head,or the bull's head for a start. Legs of Man always seems full but never been in there - significant in my life because 20 odd years ago I pulled a Stimson minibug out of a barn just around the corner from it.

Thu May 03, 2018 10:20 pm
GTM Nirvana

This event is next Saturday - less than a week! It will be great if as many as possible can join in. If you don't feel like a 100 mile section then why not just come along to your nearest changeover point and wave/cheer as the previous section group arrives and the next section group leaves and just join in the side event with the arrivers. Watch the live timings as if they are ahead of time they'll want to keep the time gained in case of delays ahead so there is a chance if you come on the published time they might have gone! Aim to be there at least half an hour before the published time. If you want to travel with the convoy make sure you are fuelled up and ready as each baton pass will be 5 minutes max.

It would be good to let us know beforehand so we have an idea of who to look out for but if you want to turn up on the day on a whim that is okay too!

There will be live tracking via the web so you can see where/when the convoy is. Go to http://www.Locatoweb.com and find KITNET/CKC LEJOG Positioning for live updates.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:42 pm
Profile E-mail