It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:22 am

Thruxton Track Day 22nd June 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Thruxton Track Day 22nd June
Track days can now run again (well, from 1st June) but as you might expect with all the pent up demand almost everything in June is sold out already. I'm pretty keen to get out on track and the only one I could find with space was this one:
https://www.motorsport-events.com/collections/thruxton-track-days/products/22-june-2019-thruxton-track-day
I've booked a place. The only problem is that Thruxton has a very low noise limit at 90dB static at 3/4 of max revs (usually 4500rpm) 0.5m at 45 degrees. I usually go through Castle Combe's test at 91 or 92 so I've bought an "up the tailpipe" dB killer that will hopefully knock it down a dB or two and I've heard that Combe's noise meter tends to give higher readings than others so I might be okay anyway.

Anyone else want to come along?

Thu May 28, 2020 8:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: Thruxton Track Day 22nd June
This is really one of my pet hates, most of these racing circuits have been there since the end of the WWII yet now the housing developers have decided to put houses close to the circuits they enforce the restrictions on the circuits. Sorry but if you don't want to listen to the sound of the engines don't buy a ******* house near a racing circuit! As I understand Croft has an issue with a farm house that was there before the circuit, but the previous owners never complained, the new owner has managed to get lots of restrictions imposed by the courts.

Anyway enough of my ranting, I hope you have a brilliant day, I love trackdays, even though I've not got the concentration levels to be any good.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:30 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

I had a great day at Thruxton. Here are a couple of pics and a link to a youtube vid.

Noise test was okay in the end. I tried with no add-ons first and whilst it failed at 4500rpm they let me try again at 4000rpm on the basis that it is mid engined so the mic was picking up direct mechanical noise rather than just the exhaust. They gave me 90dB at 4000 so got a pass and out I went with no bolt ons. I definitely got the feeling they were doing everything they could to let you through.

My first time at Thruxton. It is a great track, fast and flowing but never completely straight. There was an extra chicane due to construction works but I took that as a benefit as that section would have been scary flat out!

The car was brilliant and nothing broke!
Attachment:
_MG_3027smaller.jpg
_MG_3027smaller.jpg [ 289.34 KiB | Viewed 2686 times ]

Attachment:
_MG_3122smaller.jpg
_MG_3122smaller.jpg [ 253.8 KiB | Viewed 2686 times ]

Attachment:
_MG_3873smaaller.jpg
_MG_3873smaaller.jpg [ 349.36 KiB | Viewed 2686 times ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOQLS_wL7U

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:40 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

sanzomat wrote:
The car was brilliant and nothing broke!

They are the best, but I'm not sure we've ever had one

Edit:- For clarification as it made sense when I typed it but not when I read it back, What I meant was track days when nothing broke are the best, but I'm not sure we ever managed a full day without something breaking, normally driveshafts on the Saxo.

Last edited by Phaeton on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
keeping the bmw at a social distance 8)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:40 am
GTM Nirvana

WEST wrote:

That was Steve, my 2nd driver (I'm black helmet). Looking back at the videos Steve caught up and overtook that BMW on the previous lap but it obviously stayed with him.

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:26 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

sanzomat wrote:
That was Steve, my 2nd driver (I'm black helmet). Looking back at the videos Steve caught up and overtook that BMW on the previous lap but it obviously stayed with him.
It's always easier to go faster when you are following

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:36 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
sanzomat wrote:
WEST wrote:

I did notice the different helmet, I thought it was just to go with your different colour wheels :lol:

Neil

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:46 pm
GTM Nirvana

WEST wrote:
I did notice the different helmet, I thought it was just to go with your different colour wheels :lol:

Neil

Ha Ha! I bought some second hand slicks already mounted on some Elise S1 rear wheels that just happen to be black and my other track tyres are all on silver rims. I'm not that fussy about being colour coordinated out on track but I suppose that is where I get snapped by the pap's most so maybe I should be!

Did you spot how much clearance there isn't between the tyre and clam on the front in that pic? The Elise wheels have a smaller ET so push the wheel out further so it doesn't go up inside now. Amazingly it didn't actually rub once though so my ARBs must be working!

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:02 pm
Profile E-mail