It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:03 am

Distributor/Coil Wiring 
On the Road

Post Distributor/Coil Wiring
I think I've made a booboo :oops: My car has an MG Metro 1275 with 65DM4 distributor. The coil has a white wire on the + and a white/black one on the -, which I understand is the earth side. The lead from the coil to the distributor has a green wire which is connected to the - on the coil and a thinner black one which is connected to the +. That's how it is at the moment but I'm guessing that the black wire from the dizzy is the earth and should be connected to the - on the coil. Is that correct? The diagrams in my Haynes manual aren't very clear and focus more on the points type of dizzy. Thanks.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Distributor/Coil Wiring
So what exactly is it that are you trying to do? are you changing to an electronic distributor?

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:02 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Distributor/Coil Wiring
I'm replacing the existing electronic distributor which has tired advance springs with a brand new one of the same type and when I'm at it I thought that I would also fit a new coil of the correct spec because I don't know much about the Bestek one that's on it. I was noting which wires went where on the coil when it occurred to me that it looked as if the wires are the wrong way round. A new lead from Mini Sport or Mini Spares has white and black /white wires which match the rest of the loom but the lead I have, which came with the car and presumably came from the donor MG Metro, has green and black wires so I'm trying to confirm which one goes where. I suspect that the black wire is the earth and if so should it go to the negative on the coil?

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:25 pm
Profile E-mail