It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

Another electrical gremlin 
GTM delivered

Post Another electrical gremlin
I've just changed my Libra engine (mgf vvc) for one without a failed head gasket. Prior to hgf (which was entirely my own fault) all the electrics and instruments worked fine. Now, engine runs okay, lights are correct, indicators ditto, heater works, but the instruments don't (it's fair to say I can't be sure about the speedo, as the gearchange hasn't been fitted yet), and I have checked, double and treble checked all the connexions I can fine, but no change. I've checked all fuses are okay, and assume that the problem is probably to do with earthing, but I can't find any obviously duff earths either. Anyone any clever ideas, because I've run out of ideas, clever or otherwise.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Another electrical gremlin
Have you checked continuity of the earths on your engine they may not look duff but they could be a dry contact, sorry for stating the obvious if you've already tried this.

Jamie.

Libra V6
Hawk AC Ace
TVR 3000M
MG ZTT 180
Skoda Fabia VRS
TVR Griffith 400 (coming soon)

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Are you on the same mems version - I believe some of the connections on the multiplug are different ofr mems 2.0 and 3.0, also there are a couple of pins different from front drive looms and mgf looms for no obvious reason other than to confuse you!

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:05 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks for the suggestions, but this is getting frustrating: I didn't disturb anything other than in the engine bay, the engine wiring seems to be the same on both engines, apart from a sensor for an oil temp. guage on the filter housing, and I have checked every joint I can find. There are no detectable earth wire breaks, though I still suspect an earthing problem. Nothing on the dash works, except for the main beam and indicator lights. The engine runs fine, all the head, tail and indicator lamps work, as does the heater and cooling fan. I think I shall persuade the instrument pack out of the dashboard, and see if I can arrange an earth wire direct to the normal earthing point, and see if that makes things function. Total pain!

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:48 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Solved! I checked out all connexions and earths several times, to no avail, then No 1 son put in his two pen'orth - he said the fault must be on the live side, and "have you checked the fuses". Well, I had, and they were all intact. However, he is a bossy so - and - so, and made me take each one out, and put the meter across them. Hey presto, one of them, which looked perfectly sound, as not passing a current. On gutting it, one of the blades was cracked inside the plastic moulding. Replaced it and everything works. A lot of time wasted, and much frustration. But I can now get an MOT. with luck.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:37 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Good news! Electrics are so bloody frustrating...

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Jaykart1227 wrote:
Good news! Electrics are so bloody frustrating...

Second that!

Glad you sorted it though - never assume anything!!!

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:54 pm
Profile E-mail