It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 pm

When I use indicators all 4 come on? 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post When I use indicators all 4 come on?
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me with this problem - when I put my indicators on (left or right) all 4 come on at once?

The hazards work ok and I wondered if the hazard circuit was energising when I put the indicators on but if I pull the hazard fuse all 4 continue to flash? Also changed the indicator stalk for a brand new one as it was a bit manky and this hasn't cured it either.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Cheers

Jamie

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:16 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: When I use indicators all 4 come on?
Difficult to diagnose without the wiring diagram. Obviously both sets of indicators are being fed by a common feed but without seeing the way it's wired I can't tell you why.

Are you using a single flasher unit for both indicators and hazards?

If you are you need a specific hazard warning switch which separates the circuits for normal use but commons them for hazard use.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:27 pm
Ready for SVA

What about if you fitted a BMW badge to the front of your car.......then you won't need to use the indicators.... :!: :lol:

I'll get my coat.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:52 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Good idea Sven.......I think Audi badges have a similar effect :)

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
At least its the indicators that are being operated by the switch - I had a spell where the hazard switch made the starter motor crank :shock:

It was due to a bundle of bullet connectors under the dash touching each other where their "condoms" had slipped back a bit. After sliding all the covers back into place and taping them as a second layer of defence its been fine since.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:01 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

It's a novel anti- theft device at least, no chav would think to press the hazard switch to start the car :lol:

Cup of tea and a bacon sandwich then I'm in the garage with the multimeter - I hate electrics!

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:06 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Take your time and also take a pen and paper and make notes while you play with thee multimeter, that way you can check the combinations you have tried.

Its all too easy to get lost to what you have tested and not when you go investigating

Neil

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:27 am
On the Road

So, after a lot of dicking around it turns out it was the dash warning light. The wires have been joined together and connected to the lamp unit creating a joined circuit between the left and right hand sides. Hazards obviously work fine like that but its causing all indicators to flash no matter if the switch is in the L or R position. Not sure if the previous owner was running it like that?

My dash has a single warning light, is that the norm for the Libra? If so I can't get my head round how it would work? My car has the GTM dash loom that plugs into the metro harness and it seems to be set up to need two separate warning lights (the original metro had two), there was evidence of some tampering so its been hacked about in the past.

Before I order two warning lights and drill another hole, can anyone confirm if their car has one light and how its wired if so? Currently, I have a green/white and a green/red joined at the bulb holder spade and an earth which is spliced to an earth on the main beam warning light.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I had the same problem, put green and white and green and red wires to one side of the bulb holder and a diode in each so current flows towards the lamp then earth the other side.
I had the same problem but also had to take the bulb out of the hazard switch to get everything to work as it should have not found a solution so I can leave the hazard bulb in.
I did post something similar in you thread regarding your hazards.
Hope this helps and keep me updated.
Matty

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:05 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Thanks for that Matty, sounds like a good solution. My father in law is going to pick up a couple of diodes for me this week and I'll get them wired in next weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:01 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Just like to point out the BMW indicators do work, you need BMW spec equipment to see them. They operate outside the visible spectrum of us lowly plebs. Other German marks apply.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:35 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

If you use a single warning light for the indicators it needs to be wired so that it picks up its power between the flasher and the switch. That way it will flash when either pair of indicator bulbs is working but it will not link the two sides in any way.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 am
On the Road

Quick update incase anyone else comes across this problem - I wired in a couple of 50p diodes as per Matty's advice and its now working perfectly!

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Happy to help.
Do you have a problem the same as me with the need to remove the bulb in the hazard switch to get them working correctly.
Matty

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

No, still got the bulb in the hazard switch and it's working perfectly?

I presume you have the early metro column where the hazard switch is set on top and part of the indicator stalk?

Also, I've put all filament bulbs back in at the moment, not sure if you had LED's?

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:56 pm
Profile E-mail