It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:50 am

Aerials 
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Aerials
A part of my on going design of the wiring loom, I got to thinking about the stereo.

I'm not fussed about where I have to mount the stereo, as the one I am going to fit has got a remote, so reaching it isn't a problem. However, I hate a stereo that has poor or no reception.

So..... Where does everyone fit their aerials on their Coupes? Obviously it can't be the bonnet, or boot lid. My last Coupe had it mounted on the roof, but meant that there was a lump in the roof, because of the single skin.

Has anyone come across a "powered" aerial that can be mounted somewhere like under the dash? Or can it be mounted under the bonnet, assuming that the glass bonnet won't block the signal?

I'm a long way off needing an answer to it, thought I'd see if anyone had come up with any clever ideas! :wink:

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:42 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I know someone used the front bumper as an aerial but I don't know what reception was like.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:27 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
I did use a stick on the window jobby from halfords years ago when i use to listen to the radio,

I have no Aerial at the moment and havnt since putting the car back on the road back in 2004 i just have my CDs on, or the sound of Honda :lol: . A friend did have one of these window jobbies in his mini and it worked better than mine did back in the day so maybe worth a go

My Cheap nasty one which worked resonably well was stuck to the front bulkhead under the front end GRP does not block the signal

WEST

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:12 pm
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Same here, window stick on aerial stuck near the top under the bonnet of my Libra, works fine.

Bob S.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:00 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

You need to keep the aerial well away from the HT in the engine compartment as the GRP body doesn't screen the signals at all.

I'm using this

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/aerial0_1.asp

It has a built in aerial amplifier to boost the signal. This makes it a little more complex to fit but I'm very pleased with the results.

John

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:01 pm
GTM delivered

I've got one of the stick on aerials on my Lotus Europa, signal is perfectly adequate. As pointed out though, screening is difficult so there is a lot of background noise when the engine is running. Most of this is from the points though, because it becomes almost negligible when I fit Magnetronic electronic ignition (had to go back to points though as the electronic ignition get failing due to a dodgy alternator).

When my GTM was on the road it had a bee sting aerial on the roof. Inside the car only a nut protruded, so it was shallow and as the car had 1" of foam between the headlining and roof you couldn't tell.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:22 pm
GTM delivered

Post Re: Aerials
Have just installed a £7.95 stick on window aerial under the front bonnet of my K3 and it works great. It has a signal booster built in so needs connecting up to a power supply, but well worth the effort.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I have bought a cheap boosted system and will be fitting it in the top of the screen bodywork of the K3 where the interior light and sunvisors are. There is just enough space for it all to fit, will let you know how it works out.

A friend has a boosted system in the boot of his TVR and works brilliantly, (he did get a good quality system, read expensive in my book).

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:28 pm
On the Road

Aren't FM signals transmitted with vertical polarisation ?
So the antenna would, strictly speaking, need to be vertical.

I've got a cheapish halfauds one suck up the nearside of the screen, it has a booster of some kind, but I rarely listen to the radio.

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:13 pm
Looking like a GTM

The one I have is to be placed horizontally according to the instructions. The one in the TVR is also placed horizontally and as said before works brilliantly.

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:08 pm