It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

Off side dipped and main beam fault 
GTM delivered

Post Off side dipped and main beam fault
Hoping for a easy fix from someone with the same fault previous. A little history since I bought the Libra in August the offside main beam has been problematic due to loose connector onto the actual lamp. The car has been more or less tucked away at my brothers in Scotland whilst I tried to sell my Fiesta (Not enough space) well the Fiesta is gone and the GTM is now with me.

I intended to set about sorting a few faults which seem to have increased since bringing the car down last night. I changed the standard head lamps to the more modern increased brightness type lamps (Good improvement). I tried to locate the brand new exhaust blow, still to locate will do soon. I have also repaired the nose cone which split due to grounding on my brothers drive. This had been repaired poorly in the past hence it breaking easy this time!! Repaired following a number of guides on youtube and am please with my first fibre glass/ gel coat repair.

This takes me to the new pressing problem when I started to have a look at the lights this morning a new fault appeared, side lights good, dipped beam good but when switching to full beam I lose both the dipped lamp and the full beam on the offside. This was all working fine last night so I thought it must be a break which has been waiting to happen.

I checked for voltage etc and have worked my way round the 9 pin plug feeding the front lighting loom. It would appear that I am losing voltage to these two lamps when switching to full beam nothing present on the pins on either side of the 9 pin plug. I have not worked any further back into the car yet as I have been trying to find a schematic for the car. I have found out that the loom should be that of a rover metro and the colour coding either side of the 9 pin match.

9 pin plug pins 1-9 as numbered by me correct me if you know the right number.
1-green/red left turn
2-red/black side (small and main lamp)
3/5- dipped blue/black & blue/pink
4- green/white right turn
6/8 - blue/green & blue/white full beam
9 - black and ground

My thoughts were that it could be a ground issue but I am starting to doubt this. I will investigate further tomorrow afternoon but any pointers more than welcome. Sorry for takings so long to get to the point.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:02 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Off side dipped and main beam fault
Possibly the dim/dip switch, relay or the resistor unit.

SAS

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:00 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

sidewinder wrote:
Possibly the dim/dip switch, relay or the resistor unit.

SAS

I will keep this in mind just about to go out and make a start. I think the switch should be good as the near side works as should. Therefore the other two are more probable. So where are they located, under the dash ( foot well area ), in front clam or in the dash meaning lifting dash top off?

Cheers Steve

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:14 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Looks like you have a blown fuse (or dirty contact) on the offside main beam fuse F5 (10amp). Nearside is F18 (10amp).
When you switch to main beams the dip beams will go out - as designed by Austin/Rover. In main beam you should get both driving lamps ON & main beam in headlights as designed by GTM.
I would have sent you some info' but my printer/scanner has just given up on me.
I am grandadbarry70.co.uk using my No2 sons forum access to reply.
You can contact us via sidewinderforge.co.uk (or as above) the site contains Libra Info'.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:19 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

sidewinder wrote:
Looks like you have a blown fuse (or dirty contact) on the offside main beam fuse F5 (10amp). Nearside is F18 (10amp).
When you switch to main beams the dip beams will go out - as designed by Austin/Rover. In main beam you should get both driving lamps ON & main beam in headlights as designed by GTM.
I would have sent you some info' but my printer/scanner has just given up on me.
I am grandadbarry70.co.uk using my No2 sons forum access to reply.
You can contact us via sidewinderforge.co.uk (or as above) the site contains Libra Info'.

Thanks very much.

I have located the blow on the exhaust its on the flex-pipe inboard side. It had been covered up by exhaust tape muffling the sound but this had come free highlighting the blow. There has been an intermittent fault on the speedo so given the faults off came the dash and I found heater actuator cable had been resting on the plugs on the back of the speedo, so thats should be sorted.

I will get back on the lights soon checking as directed. I will post up later.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

There is or was a problem with the exhaust flexible, on our Libra the two pipes it was fitted between where not in line. We had three flexibles before we realised what the problem was. We did some drawings & measurements & went back to the origional suppliers (in Huthwaite near Mansfield). They reshaped our pipework & supplied a new flexible & we have gone about 5 years without having to replace it - if you send me an email I will send you the series of photos. grandadbarry70@virginmedia.co.uk

Attachments:
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG [ 385.22 KiB | Viewed 7503 times ]
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG [ 376.9 KiB | Viewed 7503 times ]

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

You were correct Barry with"Looks like you have a blown fuse (or dirty contact) on the offside main beam fuse F5 (10amp)" The misalignment is pretty bad in the photo's. I will have a closer look at my car tomorrow with this in mind.

While I had the dash off I ran cabling for an interior light. I just need some parts then the car will be far more suitable for everyday use. I intend this to be my everyday car weather permitting so happy I am making progress and learning a little bit more each day.

Thanks again.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:17 pm
Profile E-mail