It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

Lock set.... genius strikes... 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Lock set.... genius strikes...
Hi,

I have managed to lose the only set of keys I have for my Libra...... and my immobiliser fob.

The immobiliser I’ll probably get round by getting the Kmaps ECU I’ve been promising myself for a while, the lock set I assume is MK2 Metro or Rover 100?

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Lock set.... genius strikes...
I bet you said "oh dear" or some other similar phrase.

Not sure if any use but I kept the door and boot locks from the MG TF I dismantled and I have one key that fits them. I sold the steering column complete with lock and the other key so don't have that one but I might have kept the glove box lock (can't be sure) so the barrel itself might transfer? Let me know if you want to try these but it might take me a while to un-bury them!

Otherwise, yes, pretty sure they were originally Rover Metro/100 but as MGF/TF used many Metro/100 parts it is possible they are similar.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:21 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Oh dear was just the start of it...... The one thing I can guarantee is that I’ll get it sorted and find the original set as soon as I have.

In the meantime, yes please if you can find them. Let me know what you want for them and how to pay etc.

Thanks

Rich

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:48 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Standard Libra door locks are Rover Metro/100.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:49 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Have tried any other random Rover keys?

Many years ago at Stoneleigh when we had 20+ cars on the TGTM stand (they were the days!) we tried keys in each others cars. With many of the cars using the donor car locks and them being a little worn it was no big surprise between 3-4 of us we could open all the cars! Knowing Rover I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 3 or 4 key variations.

Good job they have an immobiliser!

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Cheers rog.
I removed the immobiliser on mine years ago, have to changed the door /ignition keys/locks or put an immobiliser on now :shock: :lol: :lol:

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The keys thing doesn't surprise me, I used to have a metro years ago and locked myself out once, a buddy who had a similar car came along and tried his keys and they worked!

I do have the 5AS but it's always left 'unlocked' as I have a separate alarm/immobiliser.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:54 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Rich wrote:
if you can find them
Rich

I'll have a look this evening but there is a good chance they are at my MiL's so probably won't get there until the weekend.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

sidewinder wrote:

I do have the 5AS but it's always left 'unlocked'

Can the 5AS be left "unlocked" then? I always assumed it would arm when you take the keys out of the ignition. I've never pressed the lock button on the fob but always press the unlock button before turning the key as that is what the guy I bought the car from told me to do.

Found this:

"Passive Arming Enabled

Boolean Flag
Offset 0x37
Bit 6
Active Low

When set to 0, the immobiliser functionality (not the alarm functionality) is engaged automatically after a certain timeout period has elapsed. There are three different timeout values. The first applies when the unit is unlocked but the ignition is not turned on. By default the immobiliser engages after 30 seconds. The second applies when the unit is unlocked and the ignition is turned on and off again. By default the immobiliser engages after 10 minutes. The third applies when the unit is unlocked, the ignition is turned on and off again and then the driver’s door is opened (in a Rover). By default the immobiliser engages after 30 seconds. When set to 1, this feature is disabled. If passive arming is disabled and the immobiliser is disengaged, it should never engage again on its own. The current state is maintained even when powered off and on again. This allows the immobiliser to be effectively removed in that the user should never need to interact with it."

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I do have the keys for my Midas which I haven’t tried yet, I’m less worried about getting into it, than I am about the immobiliser being armed.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:19 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I've always had a 5AS but never used to carry the fob cos I didn't use it as part of my locking/alarm system it was only there cos the ECU needed it to be. I do have an indicator LED so know if it's armed or not.
I only carry the fob with me (on key ring) just in case something odd happens, as once it armed itself at work (maybe due to EM interference?) and left me stuck as it kills the fuel pump.

Mine doesn't arm itself or do anything and I don't mess with it, I like to keep it that way :) It seems mine is in the mode at the end of that paragraph.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Mine doesn’t arm itself, though I do use it without any problems... obviously until now... :roll:

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Good news today, after wracking my brains trying to remember every move of three weeks ago I remembered I was covering an on-call the weekend I put the Libra away. I just dug out the VRS we use with baited breath and the keys were sat in the centre console...

I also now know that I can open all of my doors and boot with one of my Midas keys.... Many thanks to Sanzomat for the offer of his spare locks, much appreciated.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:57 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Glad you found them. I haven't even started the search for the TF locks yet so I'll stand down!

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

There is a guy on MG Rover forum who can modify the 5AS so that it doesn't need to be switched off/on, I also have a small switch hidden which interrupts the starter function of the 5AS, not sure but it may still bump start.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:21 pm
Profile E-mail