It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm

Phil's Blingless Libra 
On the Road

Post Phil's Blingless Libra
I’m picking the Libra up over the weekend and have around 110 mile journey home – so should be a good shakedown.
So I have many ideas and questions:
Engine. 160 vvc is the obvious choice for ease, but I do like Honda engines. I’ve even played with the idea of a Clio 182, but I hear the gearboxes are chocolate. A Mitsubishi 4G is a possibility too – if I can find one. Any other ideas appreciated.
Gearchange I’ll be looking at Porsche – It worked well in a Boxster I had a few years ago – about the only part that did.
It needs new seats.
It needs a front splitter and a rear spoiler – I know the rear spoiler is probably detrimental to handling, but the back end looks bare without. Is the usual one standard mk3 Prelude?
Clocks – I don’t like. I’ll ask about this in more detail later.
Steering wheel. Eww. What is the consensus on size and dish for a replacement?
Wheels – should there be centrecaps on there? I’m not keen as they are.
Headlights – I prefer the early front end so I will be updating the standard items down the line as I’ve heard they aren’t much good.
ARBs. Yes. Sometime.
One thing I have been wondering - on a standard setup with PG1 box, are the driveshafts standard too?

Cheers all.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:51 pm
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Phil's Blingless Libra
PG1 Gearbox uses MGF/TF standard driveshafts
Elise gear change works well on the PG1, though requires extended/new cables by approx 100mm to get it in the right place. Perhaps easier than Porsche as the brackets etc fit.

How about the k series Turbo engine? 200-220 bhp just by using an Emerald ECU. Only need a small hole in the bulkhead for the turbo.

Splitter was still available from Dudley at Talon last time I asked.

Rear wing is whatever you like, though a few have used Prelude. I wouldn't use a wing without a splitter but both together worked well for me. The nose down stance is a must either way.

I used one of these wings on mine
http://www.inac.es/product_info.php?cPa ... cts_id=724

Where are the pictures?

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
roger wrote:
Where are the pictures?

I'm guessing the camera doesn't have a long enough lens to pick it up from 110 miles away :lol:

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Just got it home - 130 miles via a detour to Northampton. It never missed a beat. Temp stayed rock solid all the way. I can tell it hasn't been used much lately as it was rattly and jarring to begin with but loosened up after about 30 miles. The engine is sweet and it's no slouch but with the short induction and that gearbox it sound like a herd of slightly perturbed cows.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 pm
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Great to hear. Now the fun begins!

Don’t do what I’ve done and plan some small jobs to ‘get it useable’ and then completely dismantle the thing down to the last nut and bolt :lol:

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:44 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

A quick question: is the Libra floor totally flat or is there a crossmember for the seat?

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 am
GTM delivered

Flat on the underside, but there is a crossmember on the inside. This is not intended for seat mounting - at least not in mine, but I suppose you could use it for such if necessary. It is, however, hollow so you'd have to pack it out somehow, or cut a small hole (two, of course) to allow bolting through the actual floor.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:01 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

The front of my seat runners fixes to that cross member box. There are biggish holes in the main floor to get to the bolts from underneath. The runners are fastened onto the top of the cross member box. Is that wrong then?

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Now that I've picked up the new seats and had a good look, the rear mounts a have vertical fixings while one of the fronts is vertical and the other horizontal - with an angle bracket. This may be more complicated than it needs to be.

Edit: And the mountings are different side/side. D'oh.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:40 pm
Part built GTM

Hi,

I've fairly recently acquired a k20 powered Libra. I've previously owned a VVC powered earlyish car & an ex factory demo V6.

I'd recommend the k20, a few points to note however... the k20 is quite a vibey motor, I've read a bit on the Civics & they are the same in those, particularly when using stiff engine mounts. I'm sure with some rethinking of the mounts it could be improved but it does make bits of the cabin resonate at lower engine speeds.

The power delivery of the k20 is fairly linear (mine has an aftermarket ecu with the VTEC changeover point dropped) but they aren't the most torquey, the lack of mass & low gearing means it's not really a problem but it does make for a fairly frantic & aggressive character. I've most likely got a distorted baseline as the KV6 has a virtually flat torque curve from around 1400rpm up which in a car as light as a Libra feels incredibly punchy & therefore effortless. Obviously the V6 is also ultra smooth compared with an I-4.

All that said though if you like revs & the aggressive character then there is no better choice! The k20 is pretty much bomb proof & has vast tuning potential.

My car was built with the MGF gearchange but was apparently troublesome - the first job I have done is to fit a BMW Mini shifter using bespoke cables which works a treat with the Honda 6 speed gearbox.

On the seats side - my current car has the half fabric/alcantara Mitsubishi Evo seats which fit very well & are mega comfortable dispite being supportive. Mine are bolted through the inner floor panel with clearance holes with bungs in the outer floor.

Steering wheel - I've just changed mine to a Momo Team 280mm which if I'm honest is a bit on the small side! It's fine steering weight wise (running 195/45 16 on the front) but does get in the way of the instruments & just feel a bit small! I think a 300mm wheel would be about right. My car came with a flat wheel & an adjustable omp spacer, the Team has a slight dish & I've removed the spacer (the steering boss is fairly deep already).

I'm going to fit an auxiliary digi speedo on mine (I did the same on my V6) as from driving modern stuff I like a digi readout for speed & shiftlights for revs. There are some fairly trick aftermarket gauges out there (Koso, SPA etc) so shouldn't be a problem.

Brilliant little cars though - I'm putting together a supercharger setup for mine....then I'll possibly look at a taller final drive.

Cheers,

Stew.

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Ps -- I have a spare rear ARB if you're interested.

StewB

'09 Libra K20
'69 TVR Vixen V8
'86 Capri 2.8i S
‘78 TVR 6200M-TT

Ex Libra V6

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:36 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Stew,

If the OP doesn’t need it I’ll definitely make you an offer for the rear arb. Drop me a pm if it’s a goer.

Thanks

Jamie

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:14 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Jaykart1227 wrote:
Hi Stew,

If the OP doesn’t need it I’ll definitely make you an offer for the rear arb. Drop me a pm if it’s a goer.

Thanks

Jamie

Looks like I'm third in line for the ARB!, but, if it turns out nobody else does want it I'll take it off your hands!

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:42 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

@stewb Thanks for that - some food for thought. I've got a mate at work who is currently in the throes of putting a K20 in his Elise so I have a good point of reference if I go there.

I'm OK on the ARB, it's not near the top of my list at the moment. I'll let the rest of you guys fight over it.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 am
GTM Nirvana

No Fighting. I still owe Jamie a pint or two for the steady bar so it would be very wrong of me to take the ARB!

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:19 pm
Profile E-mail