It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm

Libra throttle cable 
GTM on order

Post Libra throttle cable
Good morning Gents, can someone save me a lot of time please. My Libra throttle cable has snapped at the pedal and because of the lack
of space I am having difficulty seeing how the outer cable is fixed to the pedal assembly, there is a square bracket with a round hole in the centre held by 4 nuts but I cant see that it is attached to this, your help would be appreciated, also is the cable off a MGF?
my car has a KV6 engine. Minirog

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:54 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Libra throttle cable
If yours is standard and the cable leaves the pedal and goes down from the pedal and goes along the side of the inner sill the pedal box is like this and the cable if original probably came from someone like Speedy cables http://www.speedycables.com/specify_con ... _form.html. Hope that helps

Regards Howard W

Attachments:
Image.pdf [84.61 KiB]
Downloaded 477 times
Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hope the PDF is visible

Attachments:
Image.pdf [84.61 KiB]
Downloaded 470 times
Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The metal end of the outer goes in the plate with the hole in it, the little 'cylinder' of the inner goes behind a pair of the 'hooks' on the pedal mount as seen in that PDF. There are two positions that the inner can hook into.

Got my last cable from SpeedyCables, sent them my old one and this info:
"The length of the outer is 3320mm, which includes the engine end adjuster, which is 65mm in length. The inner is 3420mm, including the nipples; the engine end one is a brass barrel, fitted crossways, and there is a fixed stop 50mm from that. The other end has a small barrel nipple fitted lengthways, to fit in the slotted hole in the pedal."

They actually made the inner cable too short by about 20mm the first time but rectified the issue without a problem.

Attachment:
GTM Libra Throttle cable Pedal.JPG
GTM Libra Throttle cable Pedal.JPG [ 107.68 KiB | Viewed 6471 times ]

Attachment:
GTM Libra Throttle cable Eng.JPG
GTM Libra Throttle cable Eng.JPG [ 149.19 KiB | Viewed 6471 times ]

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Bumping this one as my throttle cable broke this evening. I was only about 12 miles from home and couldn't face the indignity of calling the AA, also had my disabled daughter in the car and I don't think she'd be happy to wait for the inevitable 2 hrs for the recovery so went of the "bodge it and get you home" option. It had broken at the pedal end so I unhooked the outer and tied the frayed end of the inner to my clam allen key, held tight with a couple of cable ties (always carry them!). With the outer wrapped around my knee I could use the allen key as a hand throttle and managed to drive home okay. I did something similar with my old Rover SD1 back in 1987 but using boot laces threaded through the bulkhead, one end tied to the carb linkage and one end held in my hand - drove all the way from London to Chepstow like that so 12 miles this evening - pah!

Anyway, I have the cable from the TF I broke for parts. I've just measured it and the outer is precisely 3320 so a perfect match for to Sidewinder's. However, the inner is 3445 so 25mm too long? The nipples both match though. I'll have a go at fitting it tomorrow and report back. If it works it'll be good to know a standard TF throttle cable is the right part.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I’ll be waiting with baited breath Dave, I need a new cable so this would be an easy win :wink:

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:55 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
So, I'm pleased to report that the MGTF throttle cable does fit. The one I used was from a 2002 TF160 - not sure if there are any variations on different ones.

However, it only just fits! The outer is perfect but the inner is a bit too long. Ideally 20mm shorter so Sidewinder's measurements are spot on. For it to work you need to use up all of the adjustment from the threaded section at the throttle body end so there will be none left if the cable ever stretches!

There is some plastic on the pedal end of the cable that needs to be trimmed back too but no drama - mainly so it can pass through the holes in the tub.

I've been looking at some screw clamp type nipples as it should be possible to cut off one end and refasten a nipple a bit further along the wire. I think the throttle body end is probably the better option as it would appear to take less stress as it wraps around a biggish curve on the pulley thingy. I'll leave it be until such time as it needs any slack removing. As it was a used part I guess any stretch may have already happened.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail