It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

Air Filter 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Air Filter
Have been using a K&N drum type (RU-1480) filter open/exposed in the engine bay for some time, decided to try a closed off type instead. Was originally going to make an enclosure for the original, but would likely have been insufficient space. I did also consider getting a proper MG TF airbox but wasn't sure if there was space for one of those either. My positioning of the ECU on the engine frame is perhaps a bit unhelpful too.

Found the K&N Apollo (£170) kit which looked good, then found the cloned versions on ebay and bought one cheap (£18). I discarded the filter that came in it and bought a genuine K&N one (RC-5052) that comes with the real Apollo kit for £33. An 80mm long x 70mm ID piece of silicone tube for £6 was also bought to link the casing to the throttle body. No idea if it gives more or less BHP and not all that concerned either way as it's only a road car. It does look funky though.

Pics on FB to save forum space:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 587&type=3

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Air Filter
That link doesn't work for me, possibly because I'm not on FB. What was the reason for going enclosed? I get that ducting to somewhere cool should give denser air so more power but if it is still in the engine bay not sure why enclosing it makes any difference. If it looks good then that is a reason in itself for you Libra guys with everything on show!

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

A pic for you Sanz.

Attachment:
Air Filter Apollo (2).JPG
Air Filter Apollo (2).JPG [ 184.34 KiB | Viewed 6076 times ]

The air is being sucked in from outside the engine bay now, rather than inside it. The enclosure reduces heat from the engine bay getting to that air passing thru the filter into the engine. In theory at least.

It's red! to match my 'colour scheme'.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi

A couple of questions.

1. Does this keep induction noise low?
2. Link to £18 clone please - stupid money for genuine ones - clones did not appear on flea bay search

Pete

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:05 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Typhoon-Cold-Air-Intake-Induction-System-Kit-With-Air-Box-Filter/111777553513

Found this one - couldn't see any in red - only blue!

I can now see how it ducts cold air in. I guess the induction noise isn't going to disappear but might move it away from right behind your ear. I quite like the induction noise in mine!

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

1, no idea i've only run engine few mins so far, doesn't seem any noisier than my previous 'open' filter.
2, Ebay # 111777553513 I used 'make offer' thing at £18 and was accepted (automatically I think) free post too.

They only do blue, I painted mine with some grey Autotek primer I had & a £5 tin of plastikote gloss red. I replaced the nuts bolts with stainless M5x25mm (111690271129). Silicone tube # 111525326610.

The proper genuine K&N filter to fit it is £47, can be had from KN shop freepost https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/prod ... od=rc-5052

I've put some mesh (leftover from radiator guard) in front of the trumpet too now, stop any big bits of debris. Also thinking about putting a small hole on the 'dirty' side to let out any water that might get in.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

After a bit of driving I observe no great difference in performance or noise. The tube from filter to side scoop wobbles a fair bit at motorway speeds, but I think that's cos I need to secure the end at the side scoop more solidly than the single bit of bent metal i've used initially.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail