It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:01 pm

Cam belt change 
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Cam belt change
Added a makeshift steel bracket to support the broken rear clam hinges so that it would not get any worse while the garage did the cam belt change and have worked out a way to make it permanent - I'll do both sides, stainless bits ordered, I'll post progress.

I can see the front clam stops on the tub that need extending to improve the mechanism - thanks Inkaphone.

Cam belts were changed by the garage.
It was a nightmare apparently - almost everywhere they needed access was obstructed by part of the fabricated mounting cage.
They were on the verge of calling me to say they would have to remove the engine but they persevered and managed it.
All belts, pulleys, tensioner changed, as well as water pump (which was leaking).

They also confirmed that everything in the V is leaking, so I've ordered a kit to replace thermostat etc.......lots to remove to get at it but not complicated, so I'll do that myself.

I've also spotted a couple of corroded shock absorber rods - Protech are quoting £30 per unit to recondition them, which seems reasonable but car will be off the road for a couple of weeks.

Also removed the "Wacky Racers" rear wing - think car looks better without it and it was cracking the boot lid.

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:27 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Cam belt change
I made sets of stainless front n rear hinge bracketry.

Attachment:
Bonnet hinges set C;D.JPG
Bonnet hinges set C;D.JPG [ 139.28 KiB | Viewed 2130 times ]

Attachment:
Libra rear hinges SS.JPG
Libra rear hinges SS.JPG [ 124.52 KiB | Viewed 2130 times ]

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:10 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
oldshep wrote:
I've also spotted a couple of corroded shock absorber rods - Protech are quoting £30 per unit to recondition them, which seems reasonable but car will be off the road for a couple of weeks.

I just had Protech refurb all four on my Locost. I needed extended top mounts on the front two as I've put wide track wishbones from a MK Indy on it and the MK bottom clevis uses 1/2" bolts so they re-bushed the bottoms too (in fact they replaced all 8 bushes as part of the refurb at £30 a corner. I think if they need new rods they charge extra for the part but it isn't much.) I dropped them off myself at around 10am and we then visited Lacock and Caen Hill locks and they called to say they were ready at 13:30. Can't fault the service. Even got a couple of stickers.
Attachment:
Shocks.jpg
Shocks.jpg [ 788.4 KiB | Viewed 2124 times ]

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I love the stainless clam hinges Sidewinder.... any chance you could let me have the plans?
Biggest issue I have is getting the old rusted steel ones out of the rear clam without doing more damage......shame GTM didn't use stainless in the first place really!

Worked out a way to stop the front flexing all over the place when its open - not very high-tech but it works and will do until I can do something more elegant - I hated that bit where the lower tray hits the stops and the rest of the clam carries on moving for a bit as it all bends!

Apologies if you've all fixed this already!

THE FIX
I got hold of some stainless cable (I used 4mm but 3mm would do and its more flexible so easier to manage) and I already had a supply of stainless nuts, bolts and washers (I hate rust!).
- To fix one end I drilled a hole on the top of the driving light nacelle (nice thick GRP there), inboard of centre so its not to close the the light mounting holes.
- To fix the other end I used convenient earth mounting points in the inner wings (gave me chance to clean the earths and replace the rusty fixings with stainless.....I hate rust!).
- Used big, load-spreading penny washers either side of the GRP at each end - had to trim the ones at the nacelle end so they didn't intrude into the centre hole.
- Used large washers to grip the loop of wire wrapped around the bolts.
- Shrink wrap tidied up the ends and helps keep the loop in shape while tightening the bolt.
- Adjusted the length of the wire so that it comes under tension just before the clam hits the stops and Robert is your father's brother.

Having trouble posting pics - says file is too big. What are the limits?

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I was planning on dropping my shocks off at Protech , so it would be great if they can do mine as quick as yours Sanzomat.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Clam stops
Managed to upload a couple of pics.

I did this each side, one side wasn't enough to stabilise everything.

Attachments:
20210416_172942.jpg
20210416_172942.jpg [ 779.5 KiB | Viewed 1934 times ]
20210416_172836.jpg
20210416_172836.jpg [ 934.17 KiB | Viewed 1934 times ]
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:20 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Keep pics jpeg and about 1000pixels wide.

I have enough parts to make another set of front and rears. £60 per end. (£120 for a full set of front/rear)

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

That's very tempting Sidewinder........how did you get the old rear mounts out of the clam?

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

IIRC I think I got one or two nuts off the others I cut off with a dremel. I also cut the pivot part off cos the pivot bolts were rusted solid.

Attachments:
Rear clam hinge brackets.JPG
Rear clam hinge brackets.JPG [ 172.57 KiB | Viewed 1918 times ]

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

That's a right old mess :shock: ....the visible parts of mine aren't quite that bad.
The issue with mine seems to be more about the clam mounting plates not spreading the load enough which has resulted in cracking of the GRP.
Previous owners attempts to fix it have resulted in the whole fixed portion being embedded in the GRP, so I'll have to cut it out and then work out a repair.

Very tempted to take up your offer but I think it needs a larger mounting plate to try and stop it happening again so would waste some of your kit but the rest of it would save me quite a bit of work.

I'll have a think.....still getting over the shock of paying £700 to get the belts done another £200 in parts for thermostat, alternator belt idler, plugs, etc and now my C4 is in having it's clutch replaced, which is another £1050 - not been a good month!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I've not had an issue with the GRP in that area myself. There isn't a lot of space to put a bigger plate flat down but you could maybe have one that bends n goes up the rear face and or the side bit.

You can have whatever parts you need. If you design an extended plate and catch me at the right time (when i'm putting an order in) I can have it laser cut when I have other stuff done.

The hinges are in a terrible position for exposure to road muck. I made little plastic deflectors and shields to protect em but the way it functions and space you have etc you can't cover them totally.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:51 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

OK, thanks Sidewinder.

My temporary bodge does just that and spreads the load all the way along the curved bit at the bottom, which is reasonable strong because of the lip.
My preferred design would be much bigger and follow the curve as you suggest, with a few more bolts.

I'm trying to teach myself to use CAD software but it's proving quite a steep learning curve!
I will persevere though as I need to master the design side to get the most out of my amazing 3D printer - I'm dependant on using other peoples models at the mo.
What format do you need for laser cutting?

Off to deliver my shock absorbers to Protech today for a refurb........while the car was standing the rods developed some corrosion and now the car is being used the seals didn't like sliding over nasty rough corrosion and are, not surprisingly, leaking.

While the car is off the road I'll tackle the aux belt idler (noisy) and the thermostat gubbins in the Vee (leaking).

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:54 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Whilst you are in the Melksham area going to Protech look out for a red Spyder - will be taking it down to Lacock today and probably up the hill to the Rising Sun for lunch. Wave if you see me!

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:20 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Just returned home......no sign of you (or any other Libra for that matter!).
Have a good run out

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 pm
Profile E-mail