It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Brand new Libra Headlight Covers 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Brand new Libra Headlight Covers
Hi all,

A couple of months ago I bought a pair of Libra headlight covers from Westfield to replace my cracked items and was well pleased to get what seemed to be the last pair they had. I fitted them and they didn't fit quite as well as the originals but were a lot better than the cracked items I had.
However, in attempting to snug the nearside one down a little more to get a better fit, I overtightened it and the bloody thing cracked :oops: :cry:

I was not best pleased as you can imagine as these were the last Westfield had.

Anyway, after a bit of research I found a company reasonably close to me (Borehamwood, Herts) who may be able to make a couple. Long story short, after taking my original cracked items to them for assessment they have made me a new pair which I collected yesterday.
I'm really pleased with the results as they are a spot on match for my original items and fit really well, they were great to deal with as well and very helpful.

I'm letting you all know in case anyone desperately needs a set of covers made as this company are capable of doing them and I have the details of the mould they used etc. I also have the pair of originals they used to match up and would be happy to drop them back down to their workshop if another member wants to get a pair made.

The company is White Ellerton, based in Borehamwood - details below:

http://www.whiteellerton.co.uk
Tel: 0208 236 0444

Ask for Janice and mention my name (Jamie Smith) and that they are for a Libra and I'm sure they'll know all about it. I'd be happy to liaise with them and send my originals if it helps anyone out.

The downside - they were not cheap! However, mine were are real one off and if they make more or even a batch if enough people are interested I'm sure the price would come down a bit.

Cheers

Jamie

Last edited by Jaykart1227 on Sat May 07, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 07, 2016 10:39 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Brand new Libra Headlight Covers
Good work

This is the sort of thing the club is great for.

Neil

Sat May 07, 2016 1:48 pm
On the Road

I'm sure Andy westgate of westgate composites would make them too, really nice bloke

Sat May 07, 2016 7:35 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Well done that man, been meaning to research this myself but mine are ok.
I will be contacting them for something else I have in mind and I know a couple of Spyder bonnet owners who need covers so thanks for finding them.
Borehamwood is close to where we meet for the 'Southern meet' so not a million miles from me.

Bob.

Sun May 08, 2016 9:28 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I expect you've had a look at their website; they do a lot of high end and racing car stuff so I'm sure they'll be able to do whatever you've got in mind.

I'm going to get along to the southern meet one day - not a million miles from me :D

Sun May 08, 2016 10:29 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I wonder if the could do a Ferrari F40 style rear screen?

Sun May 08, 2016 10:52 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

: :lol: I think they might.

Sun May 08, 2016 11:30 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Ferrari rear screens a speciality apparently.

Sun May 08, 2016 11:32 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I would be interested to know what a replacement rear Perspex screen would cost

Sun May 08, 2016 12:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

yazza54 wrote:
I would be interested to know what a replacement rear Perspex screen would cost

A standard one would be very cheap as it's just a flat sheet with a couple of holes in it.

Vented like an F40 I would imagine would be ££££££ as it would need a mould to be vac formed. I seem to remember Dave Boud looked into it as his work forms light fittings. I seem to remember the tooling cost was prohibitive.

Sun May 08, 2016 12:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Very helpful link for the front headlight covers, I can see me ordering a pair eventually.

I'd probably go for a Ferrari rear Perspex screen. How much do you think it would really cost if I donated my rear screen as a base to start from over the winter period?

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sun May 08, 2016 6:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

The rear screen it's self wouldn't be much of a help. I would imagine because of the curve in it that is only formed when it's attached to the clam there would need to be a mould made of it in situ.

From there I don't really know what the best process would be.

Best guess is you would need to make a buck or negative mould so the perspex or whatever the best material is can be vacuum formed over it.

Sun May 08, 2016 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I just meant a standard screen, is that a definite Rog? That it's flat and only becomes curved when attached to the clam? As I've never had one off the car to check

In that case I might have a go at making one at some point

Mon May 09, 2016 8:03 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Any thoughts on a group buy for head light covers -- may get a better price than if we all approach the company individually.

Steve

Mon May 09, 2016 9:11 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Jaykart1227 wrote:
Hi all,

A couple of months ago I bought a pair of Libra headlight covers from Westfield to replace my cracked items and was well pleased to get what seemed to be the last pair they had. I fitted them and they didn't fit quite as well as the originals but were a lot better than the cracked items I had.
However, in attempting to snug the nearside one down a little more to get a better fit, I overtightened it and the bloody thing cracked :oops: :cry:

I was not best pleased as you can imagine as these were the last Westfield had.

Anyway, after a bit of research I found a company reasonably close to me (Borehamwood, Herts) who may be able to make a couple. Long story short, after taking my original cracked items to them for assessment they have made me a new pair which I collected yesterday.
I'm really pleased with the results as they are a spot on match for my original items and fit really well, they were great to deal with as well and very helpful.

I'm letting you all know in case anyone desperately needs a set of covers made as this company are capable of doing them and I have the details of the mould they used etc. I also have the pair of originals they used to match up and would be happy to drop them back down to their workshop if another member wants to get a pair made.

The company is White Ellerton, based in Borehamwood - details below:

http://www.whiteellerton.co.uk
Tel: 0208 236 0444

Ask for Janice and mention my name (Jamie Smith) and that they are for a Libra and I'm sure they'll know all about it. I'd be happy to liaise with them and send my originals if it helps anyone out.

The downside - they were not cheap! However, mine were are real one off and if they make more or even a batch if enough people are interested I'm sure the price would come down a bit.

Cheers

Jamie

How much did you pay for your headlight covers Jamie if you don't me asking?
A group buy might interest me :D

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Mon May 09, 2016 11:18 am
Profile E-mail