It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 pm

Donnor parts list - Front Suspension 
GTM delivered

Post Donnor parts list - Front Suspension
Hi all does anyone have a list of donor parts list for a gtm libra in particular I need to know what the front hubs come from and the ball joints as I am having a big problem with my front hubs. One of the calliper to hub bolts has been done up so tight we cant get it out and have tried everything we can think off so I may have to drill it out and replace it or at the very least the ball joints when I take it out to put it on my mates pillar drill.If it helps my car has been retrofitted with mg trophy brakes.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Donnor parts list - Front Suspension
Have you tried heating the caliper bracket, or a good whack on the bolt head, or an impact driver to shock it off?
John

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:08 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Front hubs are Rover Metro/100, top ball joint same, bottom ball joint is Mk1 Golf/Caddy, steering arm bar fixed to top is GTM part.

It's probably corrosion from the thread in the (ally)caliper due to interaction with the steel bolt + road salt etc. Tried a soak in good penetrating fluid (NOT WD40) and long breaker bar?

SAS

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
+1 for trying an impact wrench. I've broken sockets or rounded off nuts using long bars but I borrowed a friends impact driver (240V 600Nm) and previously solid bolts have simply rattled off without even noticing.

Also, I've had success undoing rounded off bolts with camming sockets - got a set in B&Q for something silly like £3 (reduced from £30) when they were phasing out their Macallister range in December...

Good luck!

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

i have tried an impact gun, a survivor socket, hitting a socket onto it that's a close fit, heating it up and then repeatin every other mentioned option but I cant get the blasted thing out I'm going to take the hub off over the weekend and try heating it up with a decent blow torch or drilling it worse case I can try and weld a second nut head on the top.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Okay, that is definitely a tight bolt!

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:12 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

finally got my front brake disc and pad changed after defeating my arch nemesis bolt with a big chisel and a blow torch.
so i finally got my front brake upgrade sorted and the new protech double adjustable shocks in then i took it for an mot but it failed on the rear handbrake.
i had planned on overhaulin the rear brakes and suspension next month but i guess i will have to do it sooner rather than later. Does anyone know what the handbrake cable is of on a libra?

many thanks for any assistance

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:09 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

HB cable were custom made originally I think. Some info here: post590.html?hilit=handbrake%20cable%20libra&sid=0739bdd3465457a8e21d7d133e88881e#p590

There is an adjuster at the lever end under the HB lever cowling.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:29 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi
Handbrake if built as standard is old 200/400 Rover like this https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-SPB10011EVA
Beware, again if built as originally intended, as the cable runs over the top of the petrol tank and if clamped to the tub there will be a !@£$%^!! to change.
Good luck and take a good look at the calipers first as worn parts there are common.
Regards
Howard W

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 am
Profile E-mail