It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:02 am

Fuel hose replacement 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Fuel hose replacement
I've been getting some strongish petrol smells recently so I'm getting concerned the rubber hoses may be getting to the end of their life. I know of a few people (with other marques of kit, Westfields and suchlike) who have had hoses crack/split apparently due to the ethanol in modern fuels (E10 and suchlike) being much harsher on rubber hoses than just petrol. I believe modern cars have a different compound that is resistant to ethanol but some of the hoses around when our cars were being built may not have been of that type.

I'm guessing that to replace all of the rubber hoses will require dropping the fuel tank. I'd also like to source all the parts before I start to minimise the time the car is off the road.

Has anyone done this recently who can remember what will be needed? What internal diameters are required? Are they all the same or several different sizes? Roughly how much length of pipe will I need? I guess the filler pipe may also need doing.

Any advice on dropping the tank (metro one) - is this actually required or is there a clever way of getting to the hoses without?

If there isn't any knowledge recorded on this topic already I'll take some pictures and do a write up when I get around to it.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Fuel hose replacement
Hose is 8mm not sure on lengths just measure what's on and add a bit for above tank can be done buy lowering tank slightly no need to drop completely this is a Libra but guess the same on a spyder. Gates do proper e10 fuel hose.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I run mine on super unleaded, as it supposedly contains less ethanol that normal unleaded. Hopefully will stave this problem off for a bit longer!

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:14 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I tend to replace rubber lines with braided hose, you can get 8mm adaptors that will fit straight onto your pump as well as filter fittings.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:24 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

If you look on eBay you will find certificated bio fuel proof rubber hose in any ID you need. I plumbed the efi set up on my UVA with it and I used stainless for the hard lines too although I wouldn't recommend that as it's a sod to bend. I had to anneal the tube before each bend.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:52 pm