It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 am

Rear calipers - Rover 200/400 versus MGF 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Rear calipers - Rover 200/400 versus MGF
I've become aware that the Libra/Spyder was intended to use the rear calipers from a Rover 200/400/25/45/MGZR/ZS but that some, including mine, were fitted with MGF ones. Visually the main difference seems to be the angle the handbrake cables come into them. From pics I've seen of the R200 ones the handbrake cable clevis faces forwards and picks up the outer supported on a cleat on the GTM fabricated upright bracket but on the MGF ones the cable clevis arm faces the centre of the car and the outer is supported from a bracket arm fixed to the caliper. In the latter case the cable has to make a sharp turn and then follow a tortuous path back to the trailing arm and it seems I'm not alone in having issues with the outer splitting and the tight turn leading to excessive friction in the cable. Mine needs a very firm pull to work and often doesn't fully retract so drags a bit.

So, those with experience of the R200 type - are they any better?
Anyone had both and can comment on the differences?

It looks like the two types use different pads so not fully interchangeable (so if I do change I'll wait until the current yellowstuff wears out!)
Many of the R200 type calipers for sale come without the carriers so would need to know if the carriers at least are the same - anyone fancy checking the centre to centre of the sliders?

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Rear calipers - Rover 200/400 versus MGF
I've always had Rover200 type rears and not had much trouble with em in a while. Ages ago I recall having calipers go bad and get stuck but it was the handbrake mechanism mostly and the parts being decades old. Pads and carriers are not the same as MGF rears.

The R200 calipers give the cable a straight shot along the top of the upper wishbone then down to the caliper and secure via a ring which is part of the GTM knuckle thing that fixes by two bolts to the top of the metro hub.

Discs are same MGF rears for either..

The only thing I don't like about the rover200 ones is that they only sweep part of the disc face.

Attachment:
Rear Rover MGF comp.jpg
Rear Rover MGF comp.jpg [ 47.08 KiB | Viewed 1226 times ]

I don't like the MGF calipers exactly cos of the routing of the h/brake cables as you say. I think most fit em cos the parts available are 'newer' and the swept area is greater.

I have a set of Prelude carriers which fit the Rover200 calipers and will allow larger faced pads to be used. However the mount holes in the carrier are differently spaced so i'm part way thru welding one hole shut and re-drilling it so the carrier fits on the rover metro hub without any adaptors (as needed when using rover200 carrier). I think also the pad material will need skimming down by about a mm cos they will be too thick. All of this is in theory and i'm not even sure it'll work or make a difference or be better/worse.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:43 pm
Profile E-mail