It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

Fuel tank questions 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Fuel tank questions
I’ve a silly issue for sometime now, but thought I’d ask
I’ve noticed I can smell fuel in my garage from the libra. I’ve replaced every fuel pipe over time and just leaves the tank. I think I have fuel pipe perished but need to drop the tank to inspect. I’ve not gone this yet but how easy is it to do?
Plus whilst it’s out is there any upgraded versions of this tank out there if for some reason the tank is the fault?
Is the tank a typical rover 100.

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:52 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Fuel tank questions
I found my hoses had shrunk quite a bit over time so went loose on the joins. Tightening up the jubilee clips is only a short term fix as the hoses are basically fubar once they show this symptom. The inlet and vent hoses can be reached (just) from above inside the car. The two main flow/return pipes can be reached by just lowering the left hand side. Support the tank on a block of wood on a trolley jack, undo the three bolts on left rear and two centre ones. loosen the right one. Lower the tank on the left by about 70mm (I could do this with the coolant hoses still on but left hand steady bar removed). You can then reach an arm into the gap and undo the jubilee clips by feel and remove/replace the hoses.

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I don’t have much room at this location with two 70mm supercharger pipes, supercharger, z cars bar and rotrex oil cooler. Thought best to let it come down. Are most of the bolts on the inside behind the seat?

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:38 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
You have to take out the grp trim piece behind the seats. Middle two bolts remove from either side of the tunnel near the seat belt anchors. The rear ones are accessed through the access holes in the rear shelf/box section (might be different on spyder to the Libra)

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:56 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

On mine the solid radiator pipes go under the tank, so these need to be removed before I can drop the tank. I clamped then plugged the four hoses connected rather than draining all the coolant in an effort to not have to refill and then go thru the pain of bleeding the whole system.

I found with a bit of lube I could twist/slide the tubes out of the P clips - as a lot of the clip bolts were hidden under glued down carpet, blocked by seats etc.

On mine the tank vent hose (*used to) simply loop up behind the d/s upright and then down to poke out a hole in the tub bottom corner, meaning the tank vented to atmosphere. This was as instructed in the build manual.

* I later fitted a proper charcoal canister and connected the vent to that and the intake manifold as it should be. However as I cut my tank filler inlet pipe a bit short I now get a bit of seepage at this connection sometimes.

I find fitting the filler pipe to the tank an absolute nightmare as it's made up of multiple rubber joins and metal pipes from the metro pipework (as per manual) and access to the area is very restricted. One day i'm gonna replace mine with a single flexible fuel proof hose.

If you need any pics of where bolts are or how i lowered/refitted the tank PM me.

The tank is a Rover 100 for the MPI engines with pump and sender units fitted on top.

Attachment:
Fuel tank ladder lift 4.JPG
Fuel tank ladder lift 4.JPG [ 261.3 KiB | Viewed 2942 times ]

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:38 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Your picture gave me a giggle anyways.
Cheers everyone
I’ve decided to blank off the flow and return to tank to see if I can eliminate the tank from the situation. Will find out in the morning if the the smell subsides before dropping the tank

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Well I think I figured out the issue
I temporarily blanked off the Fuel tank to eliminate it. The smell went away so the tank is fine so reconnected
I bypassed the fuel filter/ the lift pump and the Fuel pressure regulator and the fuel vapour smell remained.
The only thing remaining is my steel braided fuel lines. Googled it and apparently it is common for these Fuel lines To allow a vapour smell through. So needless to say I have orders Teflon braided lines now to replace them.
Will change them through next week and will try again

It better work as I’m scratching my head now.
I completed an extension and built a new garage within the house and is super sealed and air tight, so the problem was probably there for years and never knew it as the old garage I had was horrendous with a fair amount of fresh air passing through :roll:

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Fuel is funny with its rubber hoses, needs to be the right spec and as you have identified, braided rubber hose does breath. Teflon braided lines are the way to go, all my fuel lines are teflon and my lines run the length of the car to minimise joints.

Neil

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:44 am
Ready for SVA

Just hope I found it, because I class it as a stupid problem as I just wanted to make the engine bay look right :roll:

Expensive stuff this Teflon fuel pipe though :?

Oh yes, so are the fittings!

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:43 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Teflon fuel lines fixed the problem, all fuel vapour smells have gone. :D

Spin up the Rotrex