It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 am

Starter Motor Issue 
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Starter Motor Issue
When I was moving the Libra in the garage the other day, I left the key in the ignition. Obviously when I got back to it the battery was flat. I've recharged the battery and have gone to start it with no luck. I can hear all the usual noises like fuel pump etc., but the starter doesn't pull in or spin.

Is it likely that I've burnt something out? If so, what? Bizarrely, the relay costs more that the motor!

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Starter Motor Issue
How is the battery voltage holding out during the attempt at starting? May have seemed to recharge okay but it may be that the battery can't deliver enough juice to turn the starter. Modern batteries really don't like being fully discharged and can easily become completely wrecked but may appear to be okay on the charger and when tested with a voltmeter with no load. My first thing to try would be to borrow a known good battery e.g. from the daily driver, even if just with jump leads, and see if it starts okay off that one.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

Funnily enough I checked the battery, after assuming it was charged. It was only showing 10.5v, so am hoping it was just that. New battery ordered and I've also ordered a battery conditioner, which might resurrect the old one.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

New battery, a jiggle of the fuel pump fuse and it fired into life.

I have invested in a new charger that reconditions batteries too. So hopefully I'll end up with a spare.

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:47 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Glad you got it sorted. A decent smart charger might resurrect the old battery. I have an Optimate 4 which I've used for years. I leave mine plugged in via the lighter socket all winter to keep it topped up and conditioned. It has brought a few dead batteries back from the grave including one from my son's golf that he let go completely stone dead flat while parked up with the interior light switched on whilst on holiday for two weeks. A normal charger wouldn't bring it up to more than 9.6v even after about four days continuous charging. The Optimate confirmed it was dead but went into its recovery programmes. It took about ten cycles before it decided it was time to try actually charging it and as it has a fairly low charging current it took a whole week to fully charge it but it then worked fine for another two years. I've had similar results with some motorcycle batteries so good luck!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

I got a CTEC MXS 5.0, which is currently trying to resurrect the battery. It will be interesting how well it manages it.

The battery was a good one and only about 18 months old, so it has a chance.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:43 pm
Profile E-mail