It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:40 pm

GTM Branded ETB/VDO speedo repair. 
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Post GTM Branded ETB/VDO speedo repair.
Has anyone attempted to repair/replace the LCD module on their Speedo ??

I've seen some people recommending putting the speedo in the airing cupboard to dry it out but I can't believe that is a permanent solution !!

Anyone used one of these repair kits: http://www.akspeedo.com/vdo-lcd-repair.php

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: GTM Branded ETB/VDO speedo repair.
https://www.gtmdrivers.com/forum/libra-speedo-t4447.html?hilit=lcd%20repair
Did you see this thread and the link to the westfield owner who had done the same repair? Worth a look. Haven't done it myself as mine seems to be fine but does mist up occasionally.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Yep I saw that post - there are comments from my car's previous owner Matty H in there, but as far as I can tell the only person who commented that they repaired their speedo was Ian aka ElanSprint.

I'm familiar with electronic repairs and mylar film ribbon cables so I might just give it a go anyway.

Would be good to bottom out what the actual problem is - connection integrity, moisture absorbance, vibration to prevent any reoccurance.

Phil.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
I note that ETB no longer have the reset button coming through the front lens on the latest versions. A member of my other club had just got a new one for his Madison and that has a remote reset button. I can't help wondering if the moisture that causes mine to mist up gets in through that hole and if sufficient gets in to mist up the inside of the lens then it must be getting to other places too were it can do other damage. Mine is stored in a nice dry garage so isn't exposed to a lot of moisture, the misting up happens when I drive on a humid day after there has been a cold spell.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

@sanzomat: All good thoughts, but as the backlight plug on the back is all but unsealed I don't think the casing would be any less "open to moisture" without the rest button on the front, unless ETB sealed up the front half of the casing a bit better, but the film connection still has to get to the PCB somehow. A damp environment along with heat from the car or the backlight would still cause the gauge to mist up - the Lucas gauges on my MG do at certain times of the year, especially after a period of lack of use.

I'm willing to say the loss of display problem is moisture ingress on the LCD, the Mylar Film or the connector on the PCB, or any combination of the above.

The critical part of the replacement seems to be getting the bezel off the front.

Phil.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:50 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Yes, I've used one of them.

My screen was always fading in and out.

The hardest bit was freeing off the front binnacle/ring.

The instructions I followed weren't 100% accurate for the Libra, but any amount of common sense should get you through the process.

Mine has been perfect since I did it.

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Phil I used the ak speedo display was fairly easy if you take your time slthough I am an electronics engineer. I did a writ up on here if you do a search
Ian

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:56 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi Ian.

Thanks for the confirmation - I did see you're previous post and the videos on both AKSpeedo and Westfield owners website.

I've done a few Smiths gauges over the years so I'm reasonably familiar with getting the bezels off them, and I've done enough consumer electronic repairs over the years to know about those tiny little flip-latch connectors and the mylar film flexible ribbons.

Phil.

Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Just remember to power up speedo before refitting pointers zero as motor moves around a bit once you apply power
Ian

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail