It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:22 am

Exhaust Downpipe 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Exhaust Downpipe
Anyone know if the exhaust downpipe was custom made? Looks like the first couple of inches from the 6 bolt flange is standard MG TF but the rest looks a bit homemade, quickly going from two into one then bending under the sump then bending off towards the offside once beyond the sump. The MG TF one stays as two separate pipes for slightly longer then goes into a flexi under the sump (which looks very prone to damage) and then bends the opposite way.
My exhaust has been getting gradually louder. I checked today and the downpipe has cracked around 80% of its circumference just after the 2 into 1 and before the bend under the sump. I've welded it for now but I suspect I'll be needing a replacement quite soon...
Attachment:
IMG-3874.jpg
IMG-3874.jpg [ 223.33 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:42 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Exhaust Downpipe
Hello, that looks similar to what happened to mine (see http://www.gtmdrivers.com/forum/libra-e ... t2096.html). http://www.stainless-exhaust.com 01623 552262 were the makers and their web site looks alive but don't expect it to be cheap. Found my invoice from over 10 years ago and over £200 but that was for downpipe, flexi and the next bend. If you already have the flexi as a separate clamp in part then all the better. But if the weld is doing the job, and mine lasted well, maybe leave it. I only replaced the whole lot once the flexi died (I had the early welded in flexi originally).
One other thing, I have found the thin metal plate type gaskets (available from Rimmers) to be better than than the thicker gasket material type which disintegrate then you have another blow.
Best of luck
Howard W

Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:11 pm
Profile E-mail