It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

Steering Rack 
GTM on order

Post Steering Rack
The steering rack on my Spyder has started making knocking noises when the the steering wheel is moved. It is definitely the rack as I can feel the knocking when holding the rack. There is no play in the steering itself so I was wandering what is in the rack itself that could cause the knocking sound as the sound is coming from the center of the rack.

If the rack is busted and I need a new one where can I source one as its a LHD one with the orange band.

Any help/advise will be much appreciated.

Brian

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:48 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Steering Rack
If you can't find a LH rack consider rebuilding your knocking rack, there is a spring loaded saddle pressing the rack onto the pinion, the pinion bearings are usually shimmed to length and there will be a bushing on the opposite end to the pinion, usually made from nylon, the inner ball joints are usually adjustable, fill it with EP90 axle oil and replace the bellows, job done :lol:
John

Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:23 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Thanks for the reply I might have to try and rebuild it as I don't think I would be able to find a LHD drive one. I went out to have a look again and its not really a knocking sound, it really sounds more like as if the rack was needing oiled. Is the rack filled with oil??

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:27 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
I don't know what rack you have but they should be filled with a heavy gear oil like EP90, if you have any cut in the bellows the oil will come out, you can refill if you can jack the car as high as possible and with one bellows removed fill into the end of the rack tube but a slow process
John

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:47 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

GTM: Libra
Before dismantling the rack itself check the clamps that mount it to the tub.
I had this on mine, the u bolt at the drivers side had come a little loose and the rack was moving slightly when turning the wheel. This would be my bet.

Unfortunately the nuts on this bolt are on the inside of the tub, so it's a head down inside the footwell job, hope you're not claustrophobic... :? The access hole behind the pedals will probably have been covered by the builder.

I'd actually recommend anyone check this mount if the cars done some miles since built, and if you do have to get down inside the tub you can always check all the suspension nuts that are in there while you're there...

Cheers,
Mike

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:03 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Thanks Mike I have checked that the Rack is secure as I removed the battery box so I could examine the rack itself. There is no noise coming from the rack when the wheels are off the ground and it definitely sounds as if the rack is sticking on something.Saw this on ebay and was wondering if this is a direct replacement

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGTF-MGTF-LE5 ... 5d579d8155

Brian

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:51 am
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Bump

Can anyone confirm if this rack would be a direct replacement for my rack??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGTF-MGTF-LE5 ... 5d579d8155

Brian

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Hmmm, not sure. AFAIK the LE500 was the version of the MGTF that was made by the chinese owners after they bought up the remaining bits/tooling etc and resurrected the car for brief production run several years after it had previously ceased production. I'm not sure how many of the bits were original parts bin bits and what was chinese copies. Might be worth checking on the MG forums to see if they know which bits are wholly compatible. If it is identical to the original TF then it should fit but may be a gamble on quality?

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Thanks think I will just pass on it as you say could turn out to be worse than the one I have :(

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:56 am
Profile E-mail