It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

Libra/Spyders with Z Cars rear Suspension 
GTM delivered

GTM: Libra
Post Libra/Spyders with Z Cars rear Suspension
Just wondered if anyone with the Z cars suspension has had any problems with their rear brake pad wear and/or Handbrake performance?

At some point (after fitting the new suspension) I noticed I wasn't getting even wear of the rear pads, it was only like half in contact with the discs if you see what i mean? Anyway thought I must have just not seated the pads properly or something. Also before that the handbrake only just passed the MOT with the help of a friendly tester 8) , I know they are not the greatest anyway but it was quite poor.

Anyway I came to dismantle the brakes to see what's what, the pads etc seemed to be fitted properly, the pistons are in good condition, the caliper slides freely on its pins so was a bit stumped but then i think I figured out what the problem is.

As I'm sure you know on "standard" cars the brake calipers are mounted off the hub carrier on a nice machined accurately toleranced surface relative to the hub/discs. But on this they are bolted straight onto a thick plate that's welded onto the z cars swinging arm fabrication, and I think its not quite positioning the caliper completely perpendicular to the disc. The gaps between the caliper and disc are def not equal on either side. So as well as just not coming face to face with the disc properly i think they are not sliding freely on their pins and that was causing the binding and uneven wear, poor handbrake performance etc etc.

So i haven't fixed it yet but i guess Its a case of a big hammer and maybe some heat to "adjust" these brackets and lots of taking the caliper off and on and off again until they seem to be dead over the disc.

Just wondering if anyone has this problem, has already figured this out, has any other ideas etc..... :D

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Libra/Spyders with Z Cars rear Suspension
You can buy shim washers of different thckness maybe a easier option.
Matty

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I haven't noticed any problems with mine but I probably don't achieve enough mikes to warrant noticing either. I have whip the rears off soon to change the cv's so I will look out for this as well now

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Spyder
Dudley did my Spyder this spring, and this is what it looks like. (Think this is the only Spyder with the ZCars suspension!) True that handbrake is weak, but apart from that I have not noticed anything. Passed brake test without flying colours, dead straight. Only problem probarbly comes from a grain of sand in the brakes, making noise. Will however follow the rear pads closely :D

Attachments:
File comment: Left rear brake on my Spyder
Rear brake.jpg
Rear brake.jpg [ 239.63 KiB | Viewed 9543 times ]
Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:48 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Good idea Matty H, I hadn't thought of that, the powdercoating on the suspension is really very good, (infinitely better than the original GTM effort) so would be good not to damage it.

Thanks for feeback Terje, looks like yours may be wearing a bit more on the outside? On mine the outboard pads had a lot left on them but obviously weren't flat against the disc properly, the inboard pads were worn almost all away and disintegrated when I took them out...

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:05 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The MGF rear brakes that I fitted to my Rossa are wearing in exactly the same uneven way and I had shimmed them up exactly. The original pads that I removed from the (used) callipers were also the same and a few enquiries revealed that the MGF is well known for this so I just keep an eye on them and don't bother about it any more.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:36 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Mine was the first car to have Z Cars suspension.

I had MGF calipers before the conversion and obviously kept them afterwards.

The pad wear was more uneven after the conversion. On close inspection the mount on the swing arm wasn't perfectly aligned. A big hammer and wooden block sorted it quite easily.

The handbrake was acceptable with both set ups.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:45 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi Roger, I remember you well from the other forum, I was on there as Mike Ross (as I am in the real world!) You don't have your GTM anymore do you?

Yes, I think the misalignment on mine was perhaps more severe, I think callipers were sticking on the guide pins.

Anyway I fixed it as you have described by hammering the mount and fitting discs etc, measuring, taking them off, bit more hammering etc etc. once all back together they seemed to fit better against the disc.

Went through the MOT last week which is the first time I've driven it since and brakes passed no bother. I would say the handbrake is much better now, actually holds the car! I did re-route the handbrake cables as well, as the way I had them originally had fairly tight bends which wasn't helping.

When she was up on the raised platform I had a good look around and the pads seem to be wearing across the whole width now on both sides, so seems to have been fixed. 8)

It's good to have her back on the road though, been in the garage for best part of 3 years with new babies etc not giving me much time for it. Almost forgot how much fun it is too drive these things! :)

Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Hi Mike

Yes I sold mine a few years ago and built the Thruxton. My Libra is on it's 3rd owner since me now. I think next time it's for sale I should buy it back :o

Glad you are sorted and back using it. Will you be at Stoneleigh?

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:13 am
Profile E-mail