It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:52 pm

Hub Nut Expert Required. 
On the Road

Post Hub Nut Expert Required.
I have been fitting new front discs to my car and the hub nuts are a bit the worse for wear due to slipping sockets in the past (not me!) so I bought 2 new ones part BTA249. However, they don't fit and seem to have a slightly coarser thread which I took up with the supplier who says that not all shafts are the same. When I did my rear discs the same nuts were fine BUT they are on shafts with a single split pin hole whereas my front ones are the two hole type. I thought that the only difference was between disc and drum type shafts and that all the disc type ha the same thread - can anybody say for definite what the case is? Sorry for the long story. Thanks.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:28 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Hub Nut Expert Required.
The part you have is to fit OE driveshafts with an imperial thread, I read that some aftermarket shafts have a different thread, maybe metric?.

(basics 1st) Have you checked the thread on the shaft and in the new nut are ok?

SAS

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:54 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
I knew there was multi hole and single hole cvs. I wonder if Metro cvs were metric thread. the metric thread is generally a larger nut, but I have some nuts which are the larger hex size and imperial thread too!

Neil

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:34 pm
On the Road

GTM: Libra
For Mini's you can get metric spanner size nuts and imperial spanner size nuts (both with same imperial thread).

SAS

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
this has pictures to
https://minispares.com/product/classic/BTA249.aspx

The owner isn't

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Thanks for the replies. I checked the new nuts on the back of the car today and they fit perfectly so the cross drilled shafts must have a different thread which I have never seen any reference to before and the nuts don't seem to be available. I suppose that type of shaft must be really ancient by now and most will have worn out and been replaced with later single holed ones, a problem that doesn't really affect the front of the Rossa because most of the joint has been removed anyway :) However, I managed to get the front nuts back on without doing any more damage to them (thankfully they don't need 200 ft lbs) so they're fine for now. I've been messing around with Minis off and on for longer than I care to remember and I still keep coming up with something new :shock: You live and learn.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail