It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:26 am

Libra Anti-Roll Bars 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Libra Anti-Roll Bars
Hi all,

I know this one's been done a few times but what are people's opinions on anti-roll bars for the Libra? Do they make a positive contribution to the handling or not?

Reading various topics on here and TGTM is seems that some say they are a must, others say don't bother, some say front bar only.......

Be nice to have up to date opinions on the subject before I decide to go for them or not in the near future. Be quite easy to fit them now whilst the engine is out and I'd rather do it now if its a worthwhile upgrade.

BTW my car has early MK1 rear suspension with new protech shocks 225 / 300lb springs. Predominantly a road car with occasional track day use (possibly) - I do tend to drive quite 'enthusiastically' on the right road :wink:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:30 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Libra Anti-Roll Bars
I've been thinking the same thing as my Spyder doesn't have any. I've got some pics of it on track from last year and it does seem to be leaning over a bit and I've got 450lb rear springs.

Won't be done this year though as I've already spent as much as I can justify - the rest will go on track day fees!

For the front (which from what I've read is the more important one) it would have to be a bar with hex ends and separate cranks so it can be fitted without taking off the whole front of the car!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:55 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Yes they do look to bit a bit of a bar steward to fit at the front.... :lol:

I've got to take some bits off the front to fit the passat rad and new shocks so might not be too painful (wishful thinking). Not even sure I want them yet and certainly have plenty of other jobs to do but if I convince myself they're worth having I'd rather have them on the car straight away.

I spoke to Alan Gow earlier and he's sending me some details.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:43 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

I think rad duct off doesn't help much and wishbones could stay on anyway. I made a cut in the inner wing rather than dismantle the front to change the steering rack as it looks like there are lots of (rusty) bolts and various wires etc to move in order to separate the front section that I'm guessing would have to come off to get a U shaped bar in. Does the Alan Gow front bar come in separate bits? I've seen some (on Dave Gallop's (Track Developments) stand at Stoneleigh last year that are made from a straight section of bar with hex ends and cranks with hex holes to fit over the ends of the bar. Those could simply slide in from one side - simples!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Alan's going to send me some details so I'll let you know when I get them.

Straight bar sounds like a good option. Do track developments have a website?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

http://trackdevelopments.com/home But no clever ordering or stock listing - you'd have to ring him!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

The fixing bolts on the front one side need to come off and the front arb will squeeze through the gap made, it's not that bad a job really. It's more of a ball ache getting the fixing brackets in beneath the front footwell, it's a two man job really tightening from both sides.
I had 450lb rear and 250lb front and thought it was to soft on track so I swapped it yesterday to 600lb rears and 400lb fronts and the front is way off so have 300lb fronts coming tomorrow to replace. The rebound on the 400lb front was awful plus under power the nose lifts and then bounces off power or hard braking, dangerous really but worth a go. I believe the 600lb rears feel right with the arb on the rear. I am adjusting the front arb to be a little tighter (different fixing holes) to make front bump a little firmer but have a softer rebound hopefully with the 300lb springs.

It's a working progress but also depends on your driving style because everyone is different.

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:36 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Cheers Colin,

Have you got the Alan Gow roll bars? I'm still in two minds as to if I want / need them really? D0 you feel your car handles better with them?

On the springs side of things I went with the recommendations on here for a road car but can well imagine them feeling way soft for hard track use. I'll see how it goes, maybe eventually I'll get my gaz shocks rebuild as a 'track set' with much stiffer springing.....

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:21 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

yes, i have the alan gow arb's.
It does feel firmer at the front but is hard to be certain on the rear if it has improved because i have the z cars rear suspension

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Jim Walker used to make them. I spoke to him this morning and he still has the jigs. He is happy to make more and the kit includes both bars, brackets, rose joints etc.

Price? £450. Let me know if you want his contact details.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:08 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Roger,

Thanks for that - yes please to contact details.

Haven't heard anything from Alan Gow so will give Jim a call.

Cheers

Jamie

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Jim Walker 01726 822 326 or email info@nanpeangarage.co.uk

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Thanks Roger. I'll give Jim a call in the week.

Do you know if Jim made any other bits for the Libra? I'm still after those rear suspension brackets.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Jaykart1227 wrote:
Thanks Roger. I'll give Jim a call in the week.

Do you know if Jim made any other bits for the Libra? I'm still after those rear suspension brackets.

No I don't think so, though he may be able to help.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Profile E-mail