It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

k3 front subframe to central tub 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post k3 front subframe to central tub
hi
on my k3 the front wheels stick out more on one side
in the photos you can see about 60mm on one side and 40mm its not all that precise. but you can see it looks out by about 20mm

Image Image

in the workshop manual it states
when fitting the front subframe prior to assembling the front subframe into the tub it is necessary to drill the mounting holes in the glass fibre all these holes are clearly shown on the tub with indentations it sound like it would be hard to drill them 20mm to one side or have i got this wrong.
is there is lots of adjustment to get subframe in the centre of the tub

paul

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Rossa
Post Re: k3 front subframe to central tub
Paul.

Have you measured and marked the centr,e line of the tub and Subframe to see if they are in alignment, as given the moulding recesses for the rear mounts to the tub, it is nigh on impossible to mount it incorrectly?

Depending on the bold sizes used to fix the Subframe to the tub, you may get some adjustment, as when I got my K3, the bolts were M8 and I increased them to M10x40 stainless button head Allen bolts and this got rid of the slop and also made it easier to tighten as a socket invariably will not fit properly onto a hex head inside the footwell.

As recommended on my Facebook post, check that you have got the same bottom arms, as the MGF/TF ones increase the track over the Metro ones and mixing may show a dimensional difference and also upset the handling due to camber difference..

Hope this helps

J

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
hi big thanks i was going to do just this over the weekend

Quote:
Have you measured and marked the centr,e line of the tub and Subframe to see if they are in alignment, as given the moulding recesses for the rear mounts to the tub, it is nigh on impossible to mount it incorrectly?

but I did not get time over the weekend i did have a look and as you say it looks like you can not get it wrong i will post what i find

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:35 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
It could also be differances in the moulding side to side. If you get a tape measure out on a coupe and try to check things side to side there are some rather large differances in the GRP. Infact lots of Early GRP cars are very different side to side. 60s corvettes are surprisingly different around the doors.

Neil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 pm