It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 pm

Unleaded or Super Unleaded petrol - Ethanol? 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Unleaded or Super Unleaded petrol - Ethanol?
I was just wondering what petrol you use in your Gtm?
I've been reading more & more recently about ethanol in fuel. Apparently we already have 5% (E5) ethanol in most regular unleaded & this is set to increase to 10% (E10) sometime this year.
Now i'm reading lots of stuff on the interweb about how older engines don't like ethanol - it can affect some metals, carbs, seals, etc.
Also if left standing for a period of time, ethanol absorbs water - there's stories of rusting petrol tanks ( especially on motorbikes which are stood up over the winter).
From what the petrol companies say, Super unleaded doesn't usually ( at the moment) have any ethanol in it.

Now i've tried super unleaded in my Libra & didn't really notice any difference. But if using it might put off some problems, then i'm wondering if paying the extra is worth it? Or is it just petrol company propaganda... :?: :shock:

This article i came across is quite interesting
http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/wes ... pdate.html

So, what tipple do you use in your Gtm...? :D

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:56 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Unleaded or Super Unleaded petrol - Ethanol?
The situation regarding the use of ethanol in the different brands and grades of fuel is constantly changing but inevitably E10 will slowly be introduced throughout as it is a European directive.

There is a very full report on it's effects here.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/q ... report.pdf

There is no quick fix for the problems of E10 and rubber/plastic components apart from replacing them with compatible materials but there are a few additives which can prevent corrosion in metals. The ones which have been tested by the FBHVC and found to work are

VSPe Power Plus, VSPe and EPS from Millers Oils;
Ethomix from Frost A R T Ltd;
Ethanolmate from Flexolite.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:54 am
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Unleaded or Super Unleaded petrol - Ethanol?
I don't have a problem with petrol (yet) as we are still only having leaded here in Nigeria, we were supplied petrol by the late Gaddafi from Libya with ethanol which played havoc for a few months with all rubber seals in carbs and pumps leaking much more than usual after African maintenance, there were a lot of vehicle fires
Were I work (in my spare time :lol:) we produce cosmetics and perfumes, some ethanol based, others oil based, we have to be very careful workers do not mistakenly use pumps intended for ethanol with oil and vice versa, although "alcohol only" is writ large on a pump, in the land where many cannot read accidents do happen and its another pump for a rebuild :cry:
John

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:29 am
Profile E-mail