It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:37 pm

New Member, Hello all. 
GTM on order

Post New Member, Hello all.
Hello all my name is Steve, I have joined the forum hopefully to gain knowledge about GTM's as I hope to build one. It will be my second Kit Car build the first being a MK Indy Seven replica. I fitted a K series 1.8 Turbo adapted to a Ford box,and have a spare 1.8 turbo engine and gearbox so a GTM seems an ideal place to put it.( If it will fit :?: ) I live in Coventry which is handy for the factory i suppose.
I had a good look at the ones at Stoneleigh and was impressed with the quality and the very tidy examples on the owners club pitch.
All the best.
Steve.

Fri May 16, 2008 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: New Member, Hello all.
Hi Steve,
Which model are you going for? I'm over near Dudley having just finished a Spyder. We also have Bob H who's built a vvc libra (and he's 50 on wedensday :shock: ) and Jon is building a Honda Libra at the moment. We'll all around the Dudley area & I'm sure I can speak for the others in that if you want any help/advise/tips or just to see another GTM just give a call.
JUls

Sat May 17, 2008 11:36 am
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
"and he's 50 on wednesday :shock: "

I'm 51 :roll: and as immature as ever :lol: The body may age :( but the mind can't keep up :?

Sat May 17, 2008 11:55 am
GTM on order

Cheers Juls. Not sure which model yet but probably the Spyder.
I will probably start nearer the autumn when I can store my Indy at work and have the garage clear.
Cheers.
Steve.

Sat May 17, 2008 12:44 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hello Steve, I have built a Spyder which is now SVA'd and on the road, I also built my son Quantum 2 plus 2 which is based upon Mk 2 XR2 donor parts.

I am toying with the idea of replacing the Ford CVH engine with a K series married upto the Ford front wheel drive gearbox of the XR2 and was intersted to note that you have married a K engine to a Ford gearbox.

I presume the combination you used was Rover K to a Ford type 9. As I understand it, the type 9 has a seperate bell housing and you are able to purchase a new bell housing with the correct bolt pattern for the two combinations?

My problem is that the front wheel drive gearboxes, while having the same bolt positions as the type 9, have an integral bell housing, so an exchange bell housing cannot be used.

I was going to try and make a plate that had the Rover engine block bolt pattern and the Ford front wheel drive gearbox bolt pattern and fit it between the two parts.

From your experience of mating Ford and Rover parts together, does this sound feasible?

Many thanks for your time and good luck with the build of whichever model GTM you choose.

Brian.

Sun May 18, 2008 12:06 am
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Hi Brian.
I did use a type 9 box. I used the front half of a Getrag 1.8 K series box with a adapter plate to marry it to the Type 9. The 1.8 turbo had a dual mass flywheel so I used the Rover clutch cover and a Ford 2.0ltr Duratec clutch plate. I used the rover hydraulic cylinder as well.
I will try to attach a picture if I can.
The problem with adapter plates is changing the length of the gearbox input shaft.
However I am sure it could be done with some thought. I will try to find out if anyone has done it.

Attachments:
K series conversion1 (640 x 480).jpg
K series conversion1 (640 x 480).jpg [ 130.81 KiB | Viewed 6460 times ]
Sun May 18, 2008 10:55 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hello Steve, thank you for your prompt reply and the picture, that is very interesting.

As the front wheel drive gearbox I will be adapting has an integral bell housing, I thought I might use a 10mm plate cut to suit the K series engine profile and fixed to the flywheel end of the engine with countersunk setscrews. There would then be a series of countersunk setscrews through the plate, spot welded to the plate in the bell housing bolt pattern to hang the bell housing/gearbox on.

The three problems I for see are:-

The first motion shaft of the Ford gearbox not reaching the K flywheel spigot, and or the spigot being differing diameters.

Which clutch to use, Rover or Ford.

If I have to make the plate myself, how do I ensure that the gearbox first motion shaft and flywheel spigot are exactly aligned?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Incidentally, where abouts in the country are you, I live in Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Kind regards,

Brian.

Sun May 18, 2008 1:01 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Brian,
The spigot may need a different size bearing in the flywheel, I turned a bronze bush for mine.
You will have to do some measurements for the input shaft length, it depends on how much the flywheels of the two engines stand off the back of the crank. I can do a measurement of the Rover distance from rear block face to flywheel face if it helps. As for the clutch I believe you could use the Rover clutch cover with the ford drive plate.
The Idea with the 10mm plate sound good to me.
Centralising is the tricky bit, either some careful measuring or get a engineering firm to mark it up for you.
I am in war torn Coventry. :)
All the best.
Steve.

Sun May 18, 2008 1:40 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Nice church :roll: :)

Thank you steve :D

Sun May 18, 2008 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail