It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

Will I fit in a gtm coupe? 
Part built GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Will I fit in a gtm coupe?
Hi guys, new to the forum, looking into getting a gtm coupe! I'm into my minis, but looking to get rid in favour for a gtm.

So the most basic question is, will I fit in on? I'm 6ft 4", I fin in my mini absolutely fine, but that has cobra classic seats and no headlong... am I gonna struggle in a coupe?

Any tall gtm coupe drivers out there?

:-)
Thanks in advance

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:59 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Will I fit in a gtm coupe?
You need to try one.

I bought a Coupe with fixed bucket seats and I found I had to open the sun roof to get headroom and I'm peering through the tinted band at the top of the windscreen. I am fitting a reclining seat as can recline it to get more headroom. I'm 5' 11" but appear to be long body/short leg configured. I have also fitted a removable steering wheel as it makes getting out/falling out of the car less comical. You need to find a few coupes to try.

Martin H

Sandhurst Berks

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Thanks for the info Martin, wish I posted this earlier as I was only in Newbury yesterday so not too far from you!

I'm all the way down in Devon, I'm long body/shorter legged too, l remember when I used to be in my mini that I didn't have to slide the seat all the way back to make myself comfortable, I like have me legs bent slightly.

Could be worth a gamble, anyone in Devon or Cornwall with a coupe? The listing ends in a few days :P

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:41 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I'm near to Holsworthy, is that any good for you?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Ideal, PM'd

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:49 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

I am 6' 2.

At these heights you have to be careful with seat choice, seat rake, position side to side, sunroof or not pedal position, and column.

I have some low back richfields and a sunroof and I fit OK a little tight with my crash helmet on. Next I am going to fit lotus Elise seats as these sit me a bit lower. My current seat is mounted right up against the tunnel to maximise my head distance from the the side windows.

Neil

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:59 am
Part built GTM

That's a bit reassuring Neil, I mean crash helmet is an extra inch or so in padding?

Where there is a will there's a way :D

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Yep about an inch or so.

When I was trying different seats I found some seats that fitted the coupe but seat and myself did not fit. The key to fitting in a coupe if your tall is a seat that has a very low cushion, one where your arse is almost on the floor. Then the rake of the seat to get you that bit lower.

Neil

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:13 am
Part built GTM

A big thank you to Eric (gtmman) for letting me go and see his coupe and showing me around his workshop I will fit! So we're halfway there...

:P

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Just a little update on fitting in a coupe ...

I have bought Martin's coupe and interestingly although I am 6'4", I put back in the seats originally in the car - Cobra Monaco's which seem to sit lower so I can sit in a more laid back position - only issue now seems to be that my knees are a bit near the lower dash rail - may have to modify this either side of the steering column to give me some more clearance ...

As someone else noted, the 13" wheel coupe's have a slightly lowered centre tub floor which gives a bit more headroom - its never going to be roomy in there but I think I can get away with it although need to try with a crash helmet on too ...

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:47 am
Profile E-mail