It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:08 pm

Other interests...Bluebird hydroplane 
Where is my Number Plate?

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Other interests...Bluebird hydroplane
For those of you interested,
there is a short (30Min's) documentary on SKY NEWS 24th December at 7.30 PM. (PROGRAM YOUR SKY BOX)
Telling the story of the rebuild so far, and a computer animation of what happend to the craft at its moment of inpact.

If you vist this site today (Saturday) there is a single shot of that animation.....

Clicky...http://www.bluebirdproject.com/Bluebird ... /frame.htm 8)

Clicky 2.....http://tv.sky.com/bluebird-the-spirit-reborn 8) 8)

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Post Re: Other interests...Bluebird hydroplane
The bottom of the page is an interesting graphical video.

Clicky........... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ds-newsxml

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:33 am
The Terrible Tims

Stuart,
I seem to remember watching a dramatised tv documentry about this which gave the impression that he knew things were going to go wrong in a big way :( I can recall seeing the headlines in all the papers and the tv news and if memory serves all they found at the time was one shoe and a teddy :!:

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 pm

the other Tim wrote:
Stuart,
I seem to remember watching a dramatised tv documentry about this which gave the impression that he knew things were going to go wrong in a big way :( I can recall seeing the headlines in all the papers and the tv news and if memory serves all they found at the time was one shoe and a teddy :!:

Ive been on here 2. 3/4 hrs trying to post a reply. evertime i go to post the site has logged me out. I'm very VERY P###ED OFF :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes it was called Across The Lake, Starring Anthony Hopkins as Donald Campbell televised in 1987 on the BBC.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 pm
The Terrible Tims

Yes Stuart that's it, was it really that long ago :!: :!: I must be older than i thought :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 pm
On the Road

the other Tim wrote:
.....I must be older than i thought :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait till You catch Me up - older than I will admit to ....

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:47 pm
Ready for SVA

I can remmeber hearing this on the news when it happened -- 'suppose its one of those Kennedy moments -- on one of those commercial stations moored out in the North Sea off Whitby.
Didn't see the program but a collleague of mine worked with the guy behind it all -- his day job is supplying security parts for steering columns -- he's a fanatical diver and totally obsessed with Bluebird -- spend years finding the boat and contrary to everyone elses opinion somehow knew he could find the body -- bit of a dilema about retrieving it as the Campell family weren't too happy.
It's great to know that there are individuals or small groups of folks who do this stuff.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:16 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I know I differ with Stuart on this but I have a naging feeling they should never have raised the wreck as it's Donald's last resting place ... OK I know the body was never found - it's just one of those 50/50 things that sometimes surface from the back of the mind

On a different note - I've read people saying the 'labradoodle' (dog) is a modern crossbreed, but there's a picture of one in Leo Villa's book about the Campbell family and the record attempts (I'm sure it was Malcolm Campbells dog) - so they can't be that new as a crossbreed ? :!:

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 pm
On the Road

turbocox wrote:
the other Tim wrote:
Stuart,
I seem to remember watching a dramatised tv documentry about this ......

Yes it was called Across The Lake, Starring Anthony Hopkins as Donald Campbell televised in 1987 on the BBC.

You mean this one ? .......
http://www.60fixings.co.uk/epages/es115 ... /Donald_01

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:43 pm

Steve Shield wrote:
I can remmeber hearing this on the news when it happened -- 'suppose its one of those Kennedy moments -- on one of those commercial stations moored out in the North Sea off Whitby.
Didn't see the program but a collleague of mine worked with the guy behind it all -- his day job is supplying security parts for steering columns -- he's a fanatical diver and totally obsessed with Bluebird -- spend years finding the boat and contrary to everyone elses opinion somehow knew he could find the body -- bit of a dilema about retrieving it as the Campell family weren't too happy.
It's great to know that there are individuals or small groups of folks who do this stuff.

I'm sure you talking about Bill Smith:wink:

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:58 pm

Malcolm_Ball wrote:
I know I differ with Stuart on this but I have a naging feeling they should never have raised the wreck as it's Donald's last resting place ... OK I know the body was never found - it's just one of those 50/50 things that sometimes surface from the back of the mind

Donald was found and buried in Coniston on september 11th 2001, other things going on that day thats why you missed it Malcom.

On a different note - I've read people saying the 'labradoodle' (dog) is a modern crossbreed, but there's a picture of one in Leo Villa's book about the Campbell family and the record attempts (I'm sure it was Malcolm Campbells dog) - so they can't be that new as a crossbreed ? :!:

Yes Donald use to breed them if i remeber correctly :wink:

Last edited by turbocox on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:01 pm

To a VERY brave Man, 44 years to the day. R.I.P Donald

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:13 pm

For thoose interested..........http://www.bluebirdproject.com/bbp/

Looking good 8)

Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:17 pm

small update from the bluebirdproject website............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1RQKdrc ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlGAIMg ... _embedded#!

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/bbp/

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Today's a good day...,,...

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/K7/

Woo Hoo!

Press Release

Campbell’s Bluebird to Dip Her Toes in Scottish Loch.

A mere thirty minute ferry ride from Glasgow lies the Isle of Bute, an exquisite, cookie-cut piece of premium Scotland in all its beauty dropped into the Clyde within easy reach and the location of many an enjoyable fishing and diving holiday for Bluebird Project leader, Bill Smith.

Rich in heritage – Ettrick Bay on its west coast was the site of the first powered flight in Scotland and the training ground for soldiers destined for the D-Day landings whilst the midget submarine X-Craft, aimed at battleship Tirpitz, limbered up on the other side of the island in Rothesay Bay. But, most importantly for the Bluebird Project, is the mile and a half of flat, secluded water striking through the middle of the isle – Loch Fad.

Bluebird K7 – Donald Campbell’s legendary jet hydroplane, in build for the past ten years, is now almost complete and ready to take to the water once more. Her long anticipated resurrection, upon which she will again run at speed for demonstration purposes before going on public display, awaits only an invitation to operate on a suitable waterway with Coniston Water being the team’s first choice. But before that she must be thoroughly worked back to fighting fitness along with her operating team.

After considering various UK bodies of water, the Bluebird Project team decided that Loch Fad would be the ideal location for our crew training exercise. We are thrilled that, after extensive consultation with a wide range of stakeholders on the island, agreement was reached to travel to Bute in August 2018, with assistance from the British Army, to get Bluebird K7 waterborne again and under her own power for the first time in over half a century as an integral part of bringing this iconic craft, along with her historic, educational and inspirational value back to the forefront of the public conscience.

Notes to Editors.

Bluebird K7 has been in-build since December 2008 and Loch Fad will be the first time she has been afloat and under her own power since the morning of January 4th 1967
Contacts – BBP
Office 0191 2964295 We will be available for phone interviews for most of the day and for filming, etc. after 15:00

Contacts – Mount Stuart Trust
Mr Colin Boag. 01700 503877

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 am