It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 am

What are we all doing? 
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post What are we all doing?
So I had started well this year and had started to complete some jobs on the car. With the car being at my parents I was doing one weekend there one week at home slowly starting to get some jobs done. Well that has gone out the window!

Lets keep this fun and light heated what are we all up to now?

Due to the rapid developing situation a 3 week F1 shutdown started this week.
So far I have cleared/cleaned/organised the greenhouse.
Re potted the strawberries,
Planted some tomato seeds.
Ordered more seeds, going to do a small veg patch this year :mrgreen: .
Cleared/tidied the shed.
Fixed a solar light :idea: .
Designed, 3D printed installed a hook for the chopping boards :lol:
Fitted my 3D printed radiator pipe covers in the lounge.
Drank lots of coffee! :shock:

Neil

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 am
On the Road

Post Re: What are we all doing?
Still teaching as near normal as possible.
Having to do it online from home as the kids are out of school.

Wife is classed as an essential worker, due to the fact that having another Piper Alpha or Chernobyl at the moment wouldn't be a good idea.
Her company design/develop/run/monitor a lot of the control systems for the energy producers.

Running out of supplies, but have just found out the local car factors is doing click and collect.
So might get something done on the car, but little point as all events on hold.
I suspect that I may not even tax the car this year if things carry on this way.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

My car is in bits and has been now for 3 years due to me ending up with a heart condition. However I have been out and looked at her several times.
Does that count as making a start?

My main problem is I have discovered that the wife had all my tools moved to my mums 3 years ago to stop me doing anything to the car. So my question is.

Would a trip to my mums to get the tools count as a necessary journey?

Would a £30 fine be worth paying if I got caught?

Should I get her to post them to me, its only 6miles away, might cost all her pension to send them though, mind you she is 84 and might struggle to get them to the post office 3 miles away?

Other than that I have been doing a lot of stuff I had planned to do in the house but always managed an excuse to avoid doing. The wife is a great task manager, great stamina and determination. She can watch me work for hours.
Take care all.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:20 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

techead wrote:
Would a trip to my mums to get the tools count as a necessary journey?

Would a £30 fine be worth paying if I got caught?

Take a pint of milk with you, if stopped you are delivering essential supplies.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:12 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
I got a few jobs done on the car before the lock down so that is generally up together and was ready for the first track day on 7th April that has now been cancelled!
I've rubbed down and re-painted the front and back doors on the house and I've made good progress building a secondary shed to store the push bikes in as they take up too much space in the main shed and we planned to do a lot more cycling this year so good for them to be accessible. Shuttered, mixed and poured a concrete base, stud frame walls and rafters, Walls 90% clad in shiplap board (that has been on the floor of the garage under the GTM for about 6 years!), roof felt and battened and tiled. Just got to finish the cladding to the walls and sort out some doors but the DIY stores are now closed and I've used up all the bits of timber I had...
Oh, and I cleaned the conservatory roof and cut the grass.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Ken555 wrote:
Still teaching as near normal as possible.
Having to do it online from home as the kids are out of school.

That is good, Something which is a bit difficult for me to work from home.

Quote:
Running out of supplies, but have just found out the local car factors is doing click and collect.

:roll:

Quote:
However I have been out and looked at her several times. Does that count as making a start?

Yes If its part of the planning stage.

Similar here I am picking up those jobs that have been started but not quite finished around the house.
My new little fence might get done at this rate I have had the bits out today working out how it goes together I bought one of those PVC fences and found an instruction manual online in dutch translated it and found out they suggest some little extra bits and bobs which the uk supplier did not make clear, so have fired up the 3D printer to make a couple of the bits.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:36 pm
On the Road

Did all the winter mods on my Yamaha Diversion 900 last week.

Starting on my 1974 Honda 350/4 this week.

Don't know when I'll be able to ride them.

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:59 am
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
I have been fitting a android car stereo there is not much room in the dash

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

WEST wrote:
My new little fence might get done at this rate I have had the bits out today working out how it goes together I bought one of those PVC fences and found an instruction manual online in dutch translated it and found out they suggest some little extra bits and bobs which the uk supplier did not make clear, so have fired up the 3D printer to make a couple of the bits.

Fence done! :D

A small bit of landscaping in the front garden for good measure too.

Neil

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:27 pm
Looking like a GTM

I'm trying to get enough courage up to start to rebuild the VVC head, that's been sat 6 months detached from the block, but as I can't get a good gear change on the R65 box, I want to go straight to the 1.8 & the PG1 box

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Phaeton wrote:
I'm trying to get enough courage up to start to rebuild the VVC head, that's been sat 6 months detached from the block, but as I can't get a good gear change on the R65 box, I want to go straight to the 1.8 & the PG1 box

I actually enjoyed putting mine back together once I started. I find valve lapping very therapeutic! Did you separate the VVC mechs from the cam shafts? If not then great but if so they weren't as hard as people say to reassemble. It sometimes takes a few goes to get the VVC units synchronised so the timing marks all come together but be patient. I found the hardest part was getting the plunger rack thingy from the hydraulic control unit to mesh with the cog on the shaft that links the two VVC mechs, not much play but as long as you wind the shaft back with the tip of a flat blade screwdriver it will go in but don't be tempted to use any force.
When it comes to torquing the head down the sequence is very important. An accurate torque wrench for the initial 20Nm bedding toque is needed as it then changes to rotational.

Did you gas flow/port it at all or just leave it standard?

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I hope this works

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OWmH7t ... sp=sharing

can some let me know if this works thanks

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Yep Paul - can see that article fine and agree it is a good account of how to go about it. It does assume you didn't detach the VVC mechs from the cams though so won't help you with that part if you did!

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

sanzomat wrote:
Yep Paul - can see that article fine and agree it is a good account of how to go about it. It does assume you didn't detach the VVC mechs from the cams though so won't help you with that part if you did!

Oops

Alan..

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:56 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

thanks, it was one-off the places I used to do my one
the RAVE CD from rove.
this link http://www.touchepower.talktalk.net/VVC_Timing.htm
but it has stopped working I did print this is the link above

I also found this https://wiki.seloc.org/a/VVC_Information a little way down the page might help

I fink this shows you how

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:57 am
Profile E-mail