It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 am

Hello - Another new member 
GTM on order

Post Hello - Another new member
Hi,
I'm new on the forum and wanted to say 'hello' to all the GTM owners and prospective owners out there.
I am based in North Yorkshire, as the username suggests.

My reason for joining is actually quite sad. Due to a recent family bereavement I now have to dispose of 2 x GTM K3's. Both are unfinished projects and I thought it would make more sense to get some advice on how best to sell them and what they might be worth (and possibly some interest too) from those with some knowledge of the cars. Neither is roadworthy and they would both need trailering away, but I think that someone with some time to spare should be able to build something good from them. I am still working and will be for another 10 to 15 years, plus I have 2 school-age children, so that definitely is not going to be me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Simon

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: Hello - Another new member
Welcome Simon, sorry to hear of your loss, TBH it will depend on what you want for the cars as in their future, for probably the best price then Ebay is probably the way to go. Split them into 2 separate lots, plenty of pictures & good descriptions, that way the market will decide what they are worth, unfortunately if they are not completed, incomplete & not road registered then not a good deal is the honest truth (although I hope I'm wrong, I'm good at that). The good news is they were such good kits that they should easily get through IVA by a competent builder unlike some of the other kits of their era.

Alan..

Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Hello - Another new member
As Alan's reply, sorry for your loss. Difficult times. I lost my mother earlier this year so have an inkling of what you will be going through.

As to value of the cars, there are so many variables with kit cars that is very difficult to give an idea of value and I agree that ebay tends to find the market value for things but can vary massively depending on who is looking at the time and what else is up for sale at the time.

When you say unfinished/unroadworthy, were they once complete and on the road and have been stripped for refurbishment or were they never finished from original kit form? If the former and they have correct registrations then they are likely to be worth more than if they were never completed from new as although the latter implies effectively new, the cost of getting through the IVA test and registration is not inconsiderable. As a guide, an absolute top notch finished and registered K3 would struggle to break through the £4k barrier unless it is really special, a typical finished and registered and useable one is probably around £2.5-3k. A tatty but on the road one is probably £1,800. A previously on the road but in need of refurbishment one maybe £1,500. An unfinished kit that was never registered will be south of that depending on what parts come with it - if everything required to complete it to a good standard is there then maybe £1,500 is probably reasonable. These are my guesses only and hopefully I won't be offending any of the K3 owners on here! If you can give more details and photos then a better idea can be given.

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:51 pm
Profile E-mail