It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 am

My first Track experience 
Part built GTM

Post My first Track experience
I`ve had one ten minute experience on track before the saturday just gone. I was invited to a Palmer sport race day through the work i`ve been doing on the Longbridge re development.

Day started with breakfast and then off to the “off road course”. As a ‘filler’ we had to do a head to head timed caterham wet course, bit of a double figure of 8 with doughnut to end and then park the car. In a best of 3 I kicked the landscape/planning guy from downstairs a*se, 3-0 (I enjoyed this a lot as he's very competitive at everything he does). I managed 3 good doughnuts as well- loved that to bits and I was already on a high.

Next was the off road course- I don’t like heights so it was interesting. I have a lot of respect for that land rover defender- awesome machine in its own right. Finished 10th

JP1 Jag

Next up was twin seater jag. I spent a lot of time learning the track layout with the instructor and not driving like a maniac. Everyone else in my group span it- in hindsight I didn’t push it enough. Finished 7th

A bit of go karting in between as a filler- I used my weight advantage to put in a lap time 1.5 seconds quicker than anyone in our whole group. :lol:

Ah the best car of the lot was next, same track as the JP1 so I knew it welll now, and went for it.

Formula Jag- its actually me in this shot!

This is 5th gear flat our and not lifting round a right hander- notice the 3 wheels?!!!- Scariest thing i`ve ever done. I got some kind feedback from the instructors on this one- The old guy who was running this event came running up to me in the pits as I was getting out and said, “That’s how you are supposed to do it, Brilliant, that was seriously quick – you were kicking that b**tch’s a**”

I won the award for this event as I was lapping considerably quicker than anyone else out there- but no points awarded on this event.

XKR

Sounded like thunder pulling off, and the SC screamed as you went down the straights. I was really looking forward to driving this but all its electronics kept killing the power- most disappointing thing I drove all day. Finished 7th. Didnt get time to learn the track layout.

Caterham

Loved this, on slicks they have so much grip and they are so responsive and balanced. The instructor thanked me for being very brave and making him laugh a lot (this was after a near 80m power slide coming a little too fast out of a fast right hander where he was saying “its gone- let it go” but I refused and someone how managed to save it). I had three moments like that- all where he said its gone leave it- and twice I saved it- with a hell of a lot of smoke and crossed arms!

He had warned me prior to getting in the car that i`d got the short straw and had the car which likes to step out more than the others if you corner without any power- said my car control skills were a lot better than I thought they were, and I should be very pleased. Finished 2nd

Porsche 911 JP3

Found this hard to drive on a new track, learnt a lot about MR drive cars and how to take corners. Nice smooth bit of kit. Finished 5th

Clio Cup

On same track as the Porsche, so I could push it quite hard. Felt much more at home with FWD. Instructor loved my aggressive style and pushed me harder and harder until I set the fastest time they’d seen for a while. A good second quicker than the others in my group.. and shockingly just over a second off the pace of my Porsche 911 time! Instructor was dead chuffed as he’s had a day full of poor times.

Finished second in driver of the day- got an award for my ballsy performance in the formula jag (that event carried no points- otherwise I would have been 15 points clear winner for the day). That award went to my boss, who had done this last year so he had a slight advantage!

Quality day, i`d like to do it again but at near 1k per place I don’t think it will happen again!

Now i need somone to take me out in a GTM to insprire me to get my behind shifting- and also to see how it behaves- i`m not sure MR cars suit my style too well.

Alex

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: My first Track experience
Good effort sounds liek a LOT of fun was had

alexh wrote:
....Now i need somone to take me out in a GTM to insprire me to get my behind shifting- and also to see how it behaves- i`m not sure MR cars suit my style too well.

Coming to stoneliegh? find me and grab one, or grab me at one of the honda meets i sometimes attend

WEST

Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:03 pm
Part built GTM

West,

It was one of the best days of my life! I may well take you up on that offer! I`d like to see how the car behaves before i pour heart and soul into it.

Not sure if i can attend Stonleigh, i think i have one of many stag do's to attend- i`m losing so much weekend time this year to weddings etc.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:51 am
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
THIS IS A GTMOC WARNING
The following is only to be undertaken if the passenger has had, a full medical and psychic evaluation

Getting in a car, with Mr West :shock: :shock:
especially in his Coupe :shock:

Are you insured :?:
If you are, did your other half put you up to this :?:
Are you acustomed to carring a spare pair of underwear :?:
Have you, made your last will and testerment :?:
Do you enjoy, dribbiling and muttering nonsence when trying to comunicate with others :?:
Or it is you have a friend called Mr G. Reaper :?:

A word of advice... Think carfully about how you look, whilst eating through a straw :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited by turbocox on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:04 am
The Terrible Tims

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:33 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Surely he's not that bad..... :lol:

Ideally thats what i want a taste of- i find brown panst rather inspiring

Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

errrrhmmmm :!: :!:

Stuart [turbo cox] remember your passenger was just as concerned about the mix of weather conditions and Coupes as mine on the MK Tour :wink:

I have a very apt T shirt which clearly states the warnings, Ill wear it to stonleigh :!: , the only thing a passenger has to be affraid off is wanting a Coupe. Mine is just a little jackel and hyde.

WEST

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:22 pm
On the Road

West, was it You that had

"Get in, sit down, hang on and shut up" on the dash?

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:25 pm
Part built GTM

is this the upgraded passenger seat- following previous accidents on passenger rides?

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail