It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

Hub top ball joint removal 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Hub top ball joint removal
Had to remove the top ball joint from an MGF/Rover100 front hub and knowing how difficult this can be googled for tips.

Found that to solve the problem of eg. a socket (1 13/16") slipping off the thin nut faces, someone had welded on an extension to the top thread and used it to clamp the socket on using the original nut/washer and then used a stilson on the socket itself to undo it.

As I don't have a correct size socket(or welder) I normally use a BIG adjustable spanner for this job which also has the problem (if not more so) as above - of being able to hold it on to the BJ flats without it slipping off as you whack the spanner with a lump hammer or wang it round with a massive piece of tube on the spanner handle from six foot away.

My solution is to drill a hole in a piece of wood 3/4" thick to accept the BJ's top thread and part of the shoulder and then clamp it on top of the spanner jaws using the original nut and a big penny washer. This holds the spanner firmly in place while you apply sufficient force to crack it without fear of it coming off sending you flying across the garage. Note don't tighten the top nut too much as this will clamp the spanner jaws to the top of the hub adding more resistance to turning the spanner.

Attachments:
Hub top ball joint removal (2).JPG
Hub top ball joint removal (2).JPG [ 154.05 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]

Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail