It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:13 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
K series sump gasket 
Author Message
On the Road
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:10 pm
Posts: 964
Location: Bristol
GTM: Spyder
Post K series sump gasket
Hi All, looking for some knowledge! All of the K series engines I've had so far have not had a gasket between the sump and the crank case. All alloy sumps. However I see that rubber sump gaskets are listed on some parts suppliers websites and on ebay. Since I installed my 160 engine I've had a weep from the joint. I dropped the sump off to install my baffle from the previous engine. There wasn't a gasket in place when I removed the sump. I've used Stagg Wellseal, as I've always previously done without problems, but this one is leaking, even after a second attempt with Wellseal. I don't know if this sump had always leaked in its previous life on a TF, there was certainly a fair bit of oil residue. So, I'm wondering if maybe the sump casting isn't quite flat (but then surely evenly tightening the bolts would pull it back?). The mating faces all looked in good condition with no obvious defects. I'm wondering if simply adding the rubber gasket would solve it. I could also try swapping over a sump from one of the two other engines I have lurking in the garage...


Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:06 pm
Posts: 379
Post Re: K series sump gasket
I'm sure they were designed without a gasket. In my experience RTV works.

I think I would try a different sump and check the mating faces.


Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:32 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Norfolk
GTM: K3
Post Re: K series sump gasket
Hi, Dave I think the physical rubber gasket was only used for earlier K series engines which had a pressed steel sump, and won't be suitable for the cast alloy sump.
You need to use anaerobic sealant, it was part number LVV000108EVA, but I could not find any so I used the equivalent Loctite 574, or Threebond 1133E should do.
The alloy sump basically is glued into position. LOCTITE® 574 seals close-fitting joints between rigid metal faces and flanges. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between the two surfaces and is ideal for use on rigid metal parts, e.g. cast components and pump housings. and is High oil resistance. Excellent water and glycol resistance.

_________________
I cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications or improper use of this information
I assume no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this
I recommend safe practices


Last edited by catsam on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 am
Posts: 541
Location: Sheffield
GTM: Libra
Post Re: K series sump gasket
You can't use a rubber gasket as the engine steady (On Libra and OE cars) is mounted to the sump so it needs to be solidly fixed.

When I took mine off (had the engine from new) there appeared to be no sealant whatsoever.

I used Loctite 574 as rec'd by Dave Andrews, he said whatever you use must be anaerobic. Never had a problem with leaks. It only needed a thin bead and I have an almost full bottle still I think.

_________________
2000 GTM Libra 1.8VVC 145BHP


Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.

phpBB SEO