It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 am

Stupid questions 2A 
Part built GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Stupid questions 2A
Updating the ongoing saga !!

I've removed, cleaned and glued the washer jets in with rubber cement (bicycle puncture repair glue !!)

I've removed the dash cover and can see evidence of water ingress, and the drivers' side A-pillar trim is soaking wet.

The Windscreen seal/trim/fillet is both loose at the drivers' side corner, and there is evidence of mastic/sealant which has also failed.

Windscreen fitter contacted to come and see what can be done.

Both footwells bailed out once again over the weekend.

Sigh.

Phil.

Last edited by Phil.1380 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:59 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Not exactly a solution, but it may be worth trying one of these to save mopping whilst you sort it out.
https://hamiltonclassic.co.uk/collectio ... p-cover-xs

I've got one and it fits a Libra well. I added a couple of these to the front to stick on the bonnet (this stops water from getting in the space between the clam and the windscreen), and on the rear to stick on the window.
It makes a really good seal.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Suction-Cup- ... 902&sr=8-3

Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:45 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Thanks Nik.

I had thought about a half-cover - I have been waiting to see if one comes "on offer" at either of the German discount supermarket stores but alas nothing yet.

Hopefully the windscreen fitter will be able to sort the windscreen, then it's back to door seals !!

Phil.

Last edited by Phil.1380 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Have you tried pushing (from inside) around the edge of the windscreen to see if it gives? Mine delaminated at the glue once and you could tell where by doing this.

Sounds to me like you need to sit inside while someone does a 'rain simulator' with a hosepipe!

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

The windscreen man cometh...............

And he said doesn't look like the screen seal, check the roof seal !!

So, when it isn't baltic outside and covered in snow, I guess I'll have the roof off and check.

Any pointers gratefully received - any idea what kind of seal it might be under there ??

Phil.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:18 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

There is no seal for the roof panel as standard, just a shallow gutter that should direct water front or rear. If water gets in it would drip off the lip you can see from inside the car.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

sidewinder wrote:
There is no seal for the roof panel as standard, just a shallow gutter that should direct water front or rear. If water gets in it would drip off the lip you can see from inside the car.

Thanks Sidewinder.

We did the "push test" on the glass at the corners and it didn't look like it was moving.

The guy ran his hands over the trim inside and said it's wet from the roof - I mean it could be condensation I guess but the fabric trim is very wet and there is water drips on the lip around the edge of the roof and the top of the screen, and all down the driver side a-pillar.

Phil.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

When mine went you could see where it was coming unstuck from the black prep paint edging going 'grey' where it was coming off too.

I can't recall if I have any seal on the top of the gutter section of the hole to form a seal between it and the roof panel edge - i suspect not. I've never taken the roof off since I built it 20 years ago. I do have some door seal (i think) fitted to the inside though mostly for wind insulation. I seem to recall sometimes if i go thru a car wash i get a bit of seepage - prob as the gutter overflows.

I don't see how it can get from the roof panel gap to the pillar really due to the shapes of the profile - it should just drip straight down from the gap if it gets in.

I admit i'd have to go sit in the car to try to figure it out - been ages since i've sat in it let alone driven it.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I think screen seal could still be cause have know windscreen fitters say screen is not leaking but later has been found to the cause of the leak i think they can sometimes be reluctant to do these type of jobs when they have to remove a screen without breaking it clean of old sealant when they could have less hassle fitting two new ones in the same amount of time also job is even worse because the fiat screen used was made to be held in place with a rubber seal not bonded in as on libra so the black edging has to painted on on allowed to dry before the screen can be bonded in.This could also be a cause of leak if black paint is not fully stuck to glass i think you need to remove head linner then do water test as Sidewinder suggested weather permitting

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Thanks for all the suggestions and positive thoughts everyone.

I ventured outside where the people are today, but only as far as the drive !!

I've removed the drivers side A-pillar trim, which was sodden, and the roof inner surround, which was dry as a bone.

So now I'm thinking back to the "triangle of doom" on the door seal.

Seems unlikely that that would allow so much water in to the car on it's own though, and why would it be Drivers footwell one week and passenger footwell the next ??

Ho-Hum

Going to get some door seals on order and try to adjust the doors so they sit a bit closer to the seal.

I did go for a little drive around the lanes, it was essential honestly, essential to my wellbeing !!

Phil.

Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The door seal, is it one piece with the join at the bottom? IIRC the proper (uncut by user) end of the seal has a small rectangle cut out of the round profile part to let any trapped water out and this should be at the bottom of the door aperture and will drain on to the outside flat door sill area.

Is it possible the round bit has a cut in it somewhere near/above the pillar that is allowing water to pass?

Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

sidewinder wrote:
The door seal, is it one piece with the join at the bottom? IIRC the proper (uncut by user) end of the seal has a small rectangle cut out of the round profile part to let any trapped water out and this should be at the bottom of the door aperture and will drain on to the outside flat door sill area.

Is it possible the round bit has a cut in it somewhere near/above the pillar that is allowing water to pass?

Hi Sidewinder.

Yes, when I cleaned and repositioned the existing seals on both sides I added the drain slot at the end of the front radius where the seal met the curve. This has, I think, resolved some of the leakages on the sills. When I removed the speakers from the sill the fasteners were very badly corroded, and the speaker wires were a bit furry so I'd say there has been leakage there for a while.

The lower part of the A-pillar trim was very wet, but only about 8 inches up (ooo-errr) !! The ceiling surround was dry.

One of the back-burner projects on the car is to retrim the inside - all the blue fabric is "baggy" as the scrim foam backing has all disintegrated so there is no harm in my removing the hard trim as I go.

Phil.

Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The only way I can see water getting inside the sill cavity is via the bottom door hinge.

Your soggy pillar bottom suggests either only the windscreen in that corner or the wing mirror triangle.

It's possible rain runs down the windscreen, over the front bulkhead and into the dash via the holes drilled for the loom etc. I glued a 'gutter' across this section to send the water out board to the wheel area. (though it turned out it was coming into dash via wiper mounts)

White strip above blue filler cap.
Attachment:
Front Wheelarch shields (1).JPG
Front Wheelarch shields (1).JPG [ 207.65 KiB | Viewed 1596 times ]

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:41 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Phil

Photo of door/window seal cut. Couldn't post picture in PM.

Bob.

Attachments:
window seal 1 door.jpg
window seal 1 door.jpg [ 21.06 KiB | Viewed 1539 times ]

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:30 pm
Profile E-mail