It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:53 am

Body panel fit 
Looking like a GTM

Post Body panel fit
I had to remove the front and rear clams as the fixings had either worn or broken and so the two pieces rattled as you drove along, however the repair was fairly easy with some glassfibre and bits of metal sleeving and washers.
The two locating pins on each panel were rather weak so I made new brackets and glassed them in place, however the front clam doesn't line up very well at all and appears to be slightly wider than the tub by about 40mm. The locating pins do help but not sufficiently so even when fully closed the rear of each front wing sticks out from the body and just looks wrong. If I adjust the locating pins so that the wings line up you have the problem that you have to physically push on each side of the car to locate the pins before you can make the catch work (does any of this make sense?).
Has anyone had a similar issue?
Any ideas other than cutting and re-glassing the rear of the clam to bring the wings inwards?
What I really want is to be able to open and shut the front clam just like a regular car bannet without worrying if it's lined up everytime.
I haven't replaced the rear clam as yet as I need a new exhaust and it looks easier to do the exhaust with the bodywork off, but the rear clam isn't of such importance as it will only be opened for me to tinker every now and then.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 pm