It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:07 am

Cold air induction 
Part built GTM

Post Cold air induction
Hi All,

I have just received in post today a K&N air filter for the K3 after much deliberation on where to go for induction kit of just a filter. I the end I opted for filter (RU 3190) which is quite large. Any way back to reason for the post is anybody aware of where coldest air coming into the engine bay has a direct route to the throttle body?

The reason i ask is that aerodynamics are a bit of a "black art", having read in the build manual the defuser under car (that curved section at the back of the central tube) was designed to push air into the engine bay. I can not see how this would work. My understanding of such a shape is that it would quash the air between itself and road there by increasing the air pressure at that point, this would leave a low pressure area behind the defuser which the compressed air would accelerate into. So we low pressure area at the bottom of the engine. You get the same effect with roof section over rear clam shell although I do not how far that low pressure area would extend for. So is the opening in the rear clam shell (the one above the rear boot) an intake or exit for air?

I notice that the K3 has what look like air intakes either side of the central tube just behind the the doors, mine have a sheet of alloy over the inside, they do not look like they were designed to provide into the engine bay as they go into a box section with no noticeable escape or any where ducting could be attached to. What were these for? Does any body have them open if so does air flow through them or just are just entrance for water.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:27 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Cold air induction
I too had wondered about this, I have seen in an old magazine where someone chopped a hole through the monocoque and linked the vent through to the engine bay, can't remember the details though.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:29 am
Profile E-mail