It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:57 am

Conversion to Emerald ECU 
Part built GTM

Post Conversion to Emerald ECU
Hi, has anybody on this forum converted from Rover MEMS unit to a Emerald ECU?

I want to try and understand what is involved, thank you

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Conversion to Emerald ECU
Might be worth giving Dave Walker a ring direct, he's pretty clued up on the k series anyway as he does a lot of Elises.

I think all you need is tps, air temp, coolant temp and crank position/trigger wheel.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:28 pm
GTM delivered

I converted my VHPD ECU to Emerald. OK it wasn't MEMS as they used an ECU off another Lotus and cobbled it together but it's as similar thing as it's still a K series at the end of the day.

The easy thing to do is speak to Dave Walker as mentioned as he's the one that knows absolutely everything about this.

The conversion depends on your current ECU. The Emerald came with the plug that goes into the MEMS ECU so it is almost a plug and play situation - HOWEVER - this is only the case if you have the single plug ECU and not the twin pug ECU like of a VVC. Saying that though, I do believe you can just rewire the plug (all the bits are in the lit) to make it work anyway.

I'll dig out my old manual etc to see what it says.

In summary - It's easy.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:29 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Had a look, can't find anything. It was probably in the stack of info I passed over when I sold my car. Hebbers might have it now and be able to see what's there.

It is an easy conversion - speak to Dave W as he's unbelievably helpful can load the ECU up with the most relevant map he's got so you can get going.

I would strongly urge that you spend the extra pennies for him to set it up correctly on his rolling road though. It'll be well worth the money spent.

Good news though - in the process of looking I found my Jago Geep builders manual from 1989 and my copy of John Dickens Automotive Fibreglass book. Excellent!

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I've been a fan of Dave Walker (and His alter ego Rave Talker) since the days of CCC - however I will say Phil Cope (from the southern area meet) had a fair amount of grief doing this conversion - I'm not sure how much was self inflicted tho'

(Bob Snooks was Phils assistant for this task He's along real soon :!: )

Last edited by Malcolm_Ball on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 pm
GTM delivered

It's really not difficult. I made my own engine loom at the same time and it still wasn't too much of a challenge.

Which MEMS have you got for a start. Is there one plug or two going into it?

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I have got MEMS 1.6 (i think) it got two plugs the 36 way and smaller 18 way with just 3 connections. I have spent today rewiring the 36 way plus as that looks like where the problems are with running the car.
I was trying to ascertain how much work would be involved in changing to the Emerald as some say it straight swop. I also looking to go to Emerald in one of my Davrians which I will have to make a engine loom for.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

mine just pluged straight in

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:06 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Phil has the two plug loom, but a new plug and pins are supplied in the kit.
At first I popped the pins out of the old plugs and wired up to the new plug as per instructions, the car would not start :?:
so I re-wired it back to the old plugs and it fired up nicely.
Then we made a loom to connect the old plugs to the new one so we did'nt have to keep changing the wires around,
the car would not start :?:

Phil returned the Ecu for them to check it out.They phoned Phil and apologized, the Rover K series map had not been loaded :roll:
The Ecu was returned and the car fired up but would not tick over, it would only run at about 3000 revs with thick black smoke belching from it [the exhaust not the Ecu].

The car was trailer'ed up to Dave Walker to be set up on the rolling road.

Although the engine runs smooth'er and responds quicker I was'nt impressed at how much it cost against what was gained, but Phil's happy with it so that's all that matters :D

Bob.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:04 pm
Profile E-mail